Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on pico tanks?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on pico tanks?
    Posted: March 14 2012 at 3:06pm
Greetings all!
After some research I have decided i would like to try my hand in dwarf seahorse keeping. I am aware of the needs of the dwarfs and have done my research. I would like to get a pico tank started cycling soon but would like some input on what everyones thoughts were on the pro's and con's of pico tanks. I plan on making it a species only tank (with snails for CUC) with lots of macro for hitching posts and some of the gorgonia from my reef tank.

Here is what i would like out of it:
LED/PC lighting, if it will support the growth of macro's (i wont be keeping corals other than some fans/gorgonia, so intense lighting isnt necessary)
Would prefer something with moonlights, but i could easily add that
3-5 gallon range (dwarfs are very small and do better in small systems)
Something with decent filtration (but not more flow than 10x per hour)

What i dont want
Anything with a bubble filter
Anything that will req lots of modification to be useable

I'm thinking about a pico something like this:
or even:

I would love to hear your input, im open to suggestions!
Thanks in advance

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 10:04pm
They are hard. That my input. But you seem to have done alot of research! So you know that. Just do lots of water changes, lots of testing, and take lots of pictures and keep us updated!

Even though they are harder doesnt mean that you shouldnt do it. Keep doing research and do it!
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 10:56pm
Never had a pico tank, so I can't give any personal experience, but this is what I do know....when hunting through the aquarium classifieds throughout the last few years I see people buy pico tanks, only to put them up for sale a short time later....why?  I don't know, since I haven't owned one, but I think it is likely you'll pick up a pico tank - just to get bored or frustrated with it a short time later....I am amazed how many people I see buy pico's only to get rid of them a month or so later?? 

Don't let me COMPLETELY discourage you Wink, but just thought I'd post my thoughts...since you askedSmile
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 2:54pm
Im having a hard time finding a picotank i like, im thinking now i may just buy a 5gal glass aquarium, put on some LEDs, and aquaclear filter, and set up another 5-10g tank sump with some mineral mud, lots of cheato, and seed it with lots of pods. Im not 100% sure how i will plumb the tank as i havent seen a 5g tank drilled before, but im sure i can somehow plumb from the back of the aquaclear?
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 3:04pm
I loved the 7.5 gallon that I had! 
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 3:04pm
Honestly all you need to do is water changes. Skip the "magic miracle mud" and an extra fuge you dont need. All the pico threads show extreme success just with a 10% water change weekly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic