Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

White dots in tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ljbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White dots in tank
    Posted: March 25 2012 at 7:30pm
For the last several weeks I have noticed small write dots, about this big "O" on the rocks and walls of my tank.  I don't have a good picture.  They are there for several days and then seem to disappear leaving a circle behind.  I get new ones often.  I'm thinking eggs of some kind but I don't know which fish would lay eggs like that.  The only fish I have two of are my pajama cardinals and I think they are mouth brooders.   I have two or three large Mexican snails and a bunch of other snail and crabs.  Any ideas on what is leaving these dots in the tank and what they might be?Stern Smile
Linda Spencer
West Jordan
From My little corner of the sea
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 8:09pm
Those super annoying little white starfish maybe??? Are they perfectly round? Picture?
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 8:16pm
Bet they are snail eggs , not sure what kind though ....
Weberlaxplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 8:28pm
I have them in my tank, i know exactly what you are talking about, almost looks like a white sesame seed. All over the walls? Yeah, i dont know what they are either, but my tank is way healthy and nothing is happening. I am guessing your tank isnt that old. Maybe a few weeks old, or a few months. After a while they should start to disappear.
You will also commonly see white sprial circles and these guys are just common filter feeders, they are actually beneficial for your tank.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 9:09pm
Ok found a link , have you add any nerite snails recently ? After i add them the eggs began to appear, Heres a link various types of nerite snails .  http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=nerite+snails&qpvt=nerite+snails&FORM=IGRE    

Edited by Akira - March 25 2012 at 9:10pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 10:14pm
Sounds to me exactly like the egg cases of Astrea snails, though other snails also lay eggs this way. A magnifying glass or even better a Jewelers Loop will let you see on the glass about 20 eggs per egg case. They typically open in 2-4 days but the baby snails don't survive.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 12:12am
Mine seem to be evenly placed and not to close together but without a jewelrs loop i have no idea
ljbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 9:35am
Thanks everyone.  My tank is actually about 5 years old, but I did recently add astrea snails.  Thanks Mark for that info.  I wish they would survive.  I am constantly buying more snails.  Thanks to Arthur I don't have to pay a fortune for them.  I'll have to look more closely to see the eggs.
Linda Spencer
West Jordan
From My little corner of the sea
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 10:02am
I have 4 different snail egg pictures:
Might help...
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 10:06am
They are most likely Nerite snails eggs.
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 10:57am
Reef'd Up did a very nice and comprehensive write-up on the snails. Thumbs Up
I'm adding that to the Reefkeeping Tips. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 11:46am
To me these look most like the Nerite Snail eggs in reef'd up's write-up, although not exactly.  The dots are opaque and look to me like a very squished down cone.  They only stand about 1/8 of an inch "tall" off the glass.  I haven't ever seen anything like them before so I was stumped too when she had me look at them.  To me it looks like the "outer shell" is calcareous, but I'm not positive on that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic