Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blue Tang question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Tang question
    Posted: April 02 2012 at 6:51pm
My Blue tang has always been very active in the front of my tank and never would hide when I come to feed them or people come look at the tank. over the last week my tang will not come out even to feed i watched to see if it eats and it appears it does behind the rocks but does anyone have any answers to why it would go into hiding and be very skiddish so suddenly. I also havent seen it come out to even snack on the seaweed I hang. All my other fish, shrimp and corals are doing great and have no problems maybe im overthinking it but just thought i would ask thanks!
-Zach-
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 12:25am
My Blue Hippo is the largest fish and the most aggressive (at times, when others are aggressive he gets wild) fish i have at the moment . If i feed with pumps off he hides , pumps on he tears the cubes of shrimp , nori etc up. When he was smaller he never hid , but does now on a regular basis. If im not feeding he never hides , could be i used a stick to get him to leave other fish alone.( not like I could actually touch him with the stick he's to fast)
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 3:26am
Possible aggression or intimidation from the other fish (or you and your stick)?
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 4:01pm
Fish go through changes just like people.
Possible illness, hopefully temporary.
Garlic Oil helps resist illness and may help improve appetite. In the Reefkeeping Tips linked below, see the Tip "Secrets of adding new fish, fish training and the Miracle of Garlic Oil"
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 8:20pm
Ok now it seems it doesn't even want to eat and will just lodge itself into the rocks and stay there hardly moving. It's color looks descent but looking beat up from jamming itself into the rock. Any suggestions? Checked all my levels everything is perfect thanks for all the tips ad help
-Zach-
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 10:19pm
Does he rubb agaist rocks like he has an itch ? you seen any small white spots on him ? How often do you feed and other than hiding how does he swim? Still have a bit of spunk like u know him to have before? Do you add garlic to ur food ? How are other fish and do you have other Tangs ? I know lots of questions but when i seen ich for the first time i missed so much and after looking back all the early signs were there and my lack of knowledge cost me a few ........

Edited by Akira - April 06 2012 at 10:24pm
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 10:22pm
No white spots that I can see but he might have some I can't tell if it's from rubbing against the rocks or something else
-Zach-
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 10:30pm
How about on his fins ? Do you have a uv light ? when did you add last new fish and how old is he ?

zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 10:31pm
I feed once a day at night. Doesn't even really swim anymore just sits in the rocks. No I haven't added garlic I'll have to look into that. All the other fish are great no white spots on any of them I checked all them.
-Zach-
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 10:33pm
Fins are tore up a little bit. Yes I have uv lights on my tank. Bought the tank a Month ago haven't added anything just what the guy had. No idea how long he had him
-Zach-
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 10:34pm
sent a pm ..

Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 10:37pm
Mine exhibited the exact same behavior that you have described before dying from the dreaded ich. I was able to save my other tang by moving him into a hospital tank with copper and feeding garlic. Good luck. Hope it's not the same situation I experienced.
http://zip-zero.com/wmas/imageUpload.php

arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 11:49pm
Do you have any anemones good or bad? If so notice any possible burn marks on fish from tentacles?
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 11:57pm
Got some good info I think its probably the ich the way it's described I'm going to try and catch and remove him tomorrow at get him in a tank with copper and do start doing the garlic also. Thanks for all the help.
-Zach-
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 12:06am
Even when u remove him all fish are still prone to get it ... life cycle is like 28 days . I waited 2 months before new addition and only added a very hearty fish :)

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 10:52am
Actually, catching the fish will probably stress it to the point of death. Rather than catch it, use the Garlic Oil procedure as discussed in the Reefkeeping Tips. Look for the Tip "Secrets of adding new fish, fish training and the Miracle of Garlic Oil"

Moving a tank is very stressful and if you didn't use Garlic Oil from the start and from what you are describing of it's behavior, the Blue Tang may be a goner. We'll keep our fingers crossed that everything works out. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 12:53pm
I went and got some garlic oil yesterday and have started doing that. He's so hidden up in the rocks in don't want to tear everything down to catch him. I agree the stress would probably do him in anyways. He's still breathing and occasionally moves around but I feel at this point he is probably a gonner I'll just keep checking and hope for the best. Thanks for all the help and for the links
-Zach-
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 5:57pm

UPDATE- i have been using the garlic oil and incredibly it is seeming to work the first 2 days my tang didnt budge or even attempt to eat after todays treatment he has begun to swim in the back of the tank (which is a vast improvement knowing he would even move for a week straigh)t. I didnt see him eat but hopefully tomorrow i will see more signs of him recovering. just wanted to thank you guys all again for the help

-Zach-
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic