Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

torch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: torch
    Posted: April 05 2012 at 9:57pm
can someone tell me what torch corals like? I have one in my tank and it doesnt seem happy at all.    Looks like i have lost a head.  I have a 16 gal Nuvo.  Have had the Torch for a week.  Doesnt seem like it has been out fully yet and hasnt been out at all the past48 hrs.  Water tests fine so IDK.  But i need help fast
ReefKeeper78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 11:58pm
I had my magnesium levels fall off for a couple days and caused a bunch of problems with my torch once I got it corrected it was fine except losing one head on it.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 9:47am
What are the level in your tank? How new is your tank? Do you ever spot feed it? What other corals are in your tank? 
Stew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 12:51pm
Tank is 2 months old.  I have some Zoas....A Hammer...a few blastos..and some mushrooms right now..all are doing great but the Torch.  All I have tested for are the basics...Nitrates.....amm....PH...etc.  I have never spot fed before.  
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 1:12pm
Have you ever heard me say that Alk and Ca are two of the four most important water parameters? If not, you may find great insight into keeping a reef aquarium in the Reefkeeping Tips linked below.

So the major question is, What are the Alk and Ca levels in this tank?
Next question is, If the Hammer Coral is doing well, since they are the same Euphyllia species, what is the difference between where they are placed in the tank?

Can you show us a full tank pic?

Spot feeding can be helpful. My opinion is that a lack of spot feeding would not cause this problem, especially evident because the hammer is doing okay. I don't do any special spot feeding and in my 10 years of coral farming, LPS coral grew plenty fast.

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 06 2012 at 1:19pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
willrileyiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 5:28pm
i spot feed my blue torch twice a week and keep his in the sand in the middle of the tank with alot of waterflow and he is always fully extended. he loves it. maybe try it.idk it just works for me
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 8:12pm
Stew, any updates on your torch?
willrileyiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 8:42pm
oh and when i spot feed i put some of that fuel stuff in the food. my colors have increased alot with only a few drops of it per feeding
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic