Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to "plant" xenia spread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
clubbby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubbby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to "plant" xenia spread
    Posted: April 09 2012 at 3:42pm
Our xenia appears to be attempting to spread. A branch of it broke off but appears to still be alive (and the xenia as a whole is very healthy). However, it didn't do a very good job of it and faceplanted in the sand. This is what's relayed to me from my girlfriend as I had left to work when this happened.
She caught it pretty well right away and tried to place it on a new rock but it's very "squishy" so she's afraid of damaging it and we're also uncertain of how to "stick" it. Just setting it ther gets it caught in the current. Would super glueing it work? Afraid that exerting the pressure needed to make it stay would be detremential to it.
55G Fledgeling Reef
Weberlaxplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 4:37pm
Either pinch it inbetween two rocks and it should attatch within a few days. Or i have also heard of people sewing it to a frag disk... Yeah sounds cruel but you just go right through the arm and around the rock a few times. Should grasp on. Superglue wont work, it might even kill it.
Goodluck!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 4:54pm
I frequently put mine in a little cup with rubble rock.  Wait two weeks, then pull out the rubble and glue it somewhere.  I have this in my tank right now in fact.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 5:24pm
I have done the rubble trick in my sump many times, works great
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 5:31pm
An elastic holding it into a little depression on a rock works very well too. Two elastics or one crossed over the branches makes sure it doesn't slip out. In a tank where it is happy, it will actually attach in a day or two.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
clubbby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubbby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 6:00pm
Thanks, it we liked the rubble idea the best. Is this a cup that you floated in your aquarium (or sump)? Are they ok with no current for that period of time?
55G Fledgeling Reef
Weberlaxplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 6:05pm
Have it be like a whip cream cup, drill holes in it so it gets "some" flow and throw in some rubble rock, and let it chillax in the cup
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 7:49pm
On the bottom of the tank or in the Refugium in an area where the flow doesn't blow it out of the open bowl. Bowl can be covered with Bridal Veil material (the hobbyists friend) but there is a better way....
Try putting the Xenia on a layer of rubble and then add another layer on top. The top layer keeps it in place and it attaches to the rocks around it.
clubbby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubbby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 7:33am
We don't have a lot of "rubble" pieces or we'd try. We had a few small pieces of petrified coral so we placed it on a clear plastic cup with some holes in it on top of that. The little guy doesn't look too happy as of this morning (slightly off color) but it is pulsing. All in all I think it's promising though, last night we weren't sure if it was even still alive. Thanks for the tips all!
55G Fledgeling Reef
GaryF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

An elastic holding it into a little depression on a rock works very well too. Two elastics or one crossed over the branches makes sure it doesn't slip out. In a tank where it is happy, it will actually attach in a day or two.

+1

I have tons of xenia in my 30 gallon tank. I often "frag" it by ripping it off the rock and placing it on something else with an elastic.
Gary Finnegan
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 5:47pm
If you don't have a ton of rubble, just cover the bottom of a cup/tupperware/etc container with larger grain sand, place the Xenia in, and then place the cup in a low-flow area (or cover with bridal veil as suggested).  When the Xenia has attached to the sand, take it out, and superglue the sand to wherever.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 11:24am
I can't stop my xenia from spreading, it's everywhere in my tank and if I cut it off and leave even a little splinter of it then it grows back...  I'll never but Xenia in my tank again
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 9:14pm
Punching some holes in a plastic cup (Deli container) and lid does not allow enough flow. Bridal Veil material is awesome. Hold it in place over the top of the cup with an elastic.
Some people like using a small wrap of Bridal Veil over the entire coral and let it grow through.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 12:29am
Put a tooth pick through it , glue one end of the tooth pick to the rock u want to attach it too, after its attached pick the glue off and pull the tooth pick out with the glue attached,if your rock has enough holes u dont even need glue
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 10:55am
Thumbs Up
the seanze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 3:24pm
This is the way I'll be doing it. Wink   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po1GhNS7ifg
Say what you think. Because those who mind don't matter. And those who matter won't mind. -Dr. Seuss
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic