Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this good or bad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this good or bad?
    Posted: April 12 2012 at 11:54am
I a bunch of these that hide under my frags. There seems to be more and more of them. Just wondering if what they are and if they'll eat coral or anything.

Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 11:55am
Look like pods to me.... perfectly good
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 11:57am
I was wondering if thats what they were. I just didn't know they were that big

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 12:31pm
Yep, amphipods... should be a good thing
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 5:24pm
Amphipods are great.
They are algae eaters, eating tiny sprouts of hair algae before we even see it becoming a problem.
They and their young become food for other things in the tank.
Copepods are also good and serve a similar function, but they are much smaller and shaped differently.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Taz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 5:51pm

Though most amphipods are good things there are a few that you don't want in the tank.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 6:26pm
Please don't let that scare anyone into thinking that Amphipods are bad. 99.9% of the time we consider Amphipods as scavengers, part of the cleanup crew. This was most likely what they were doing in that tank but the hobbyist may not have realized it.

Though any animal can turn to another source of food in desperate times or when they find a taste for it. We have tons of instances here on this MB where herbivorous fish turned to eating coral because they were not getting enough of their best algae dish in the tank or from the hobbyist.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 6:50pm
Agree completely with Mark.  The vast majority of amphipods found in our reef tanks are reef safe, but sometimes our inhabitants get desperate for food or exhibit unusual behavior for unknown reasons.  I've been keeping reefs for over 5 years, and I haven't come across any coral-eating amphipods.  More than likely, yours are fine.

Edited by Reef'd Up - April 12 2012 at 6:51pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 7:39pm
Thank you everyone. Im still new so know and just trying to learn. I just always hear the term "pods" and have seen tigger pods for sale and they are super small. I'm glad that these are just a different pod and are good for my tank.

Edited by rize2 - April 12 2012 at 9:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic