Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mandarin with ich!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
the seanze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mandarin with ich!
    Posted: April 15 2012 at 3:38pm
I know the benefits of using garlic oil. But what if you have a fish that eats only bugs in the tank. Then what?Confused
Say what you think. Because those who mind don't matter. And those who matter won't mind. -Dr. Seuss
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 3:49pm
Mandarins are usually pretty resistant to Ich due to the slime coating on their skin however it is possible for them to get it. Do you have other fish in the tank ?

The mandarin may be able to fight it off naturally. If not, they are sensitive to copper so your only other option would be hypo-salinity. GL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 3:51pm
What's hypo salinity?
Say what you think. Because those who mind don't matter. And those who matter won't mind. -Dr. Seuss
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 4:05pm
I don't think the mandarin would do well with hypo salinity treatment.  It would not have anything to eat for 6 weeks (unless you fed it something, but even then, I think it would be stressed).  By the way, hypo salinity is lowering the salinity down extremely low for 6-8 weeks (you have to move the mandarin into a hospital tank).

What caused it to get ich, and are you sure it has ich?  I would us a uv sterilizer, and figure out what stressed him.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 4:13pm
Well he has had ich since I got him. The lady at the LFS(not saying any names) hit him really hard withe side of the net when I bought him. And it's never gotten better. Do you think if I soaked tigger pods in garlic oil it would do any good?
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 4:20pm
You can add garlic to the water.... I do that along with adding to the food if I am having problems. Other than that I would make sure your water quality is great and hope that he can fight it on his own....
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by the seanze the seanze wrote:

Well he has had ich since I got him. The lady at the LFS(not saying any names) hit him really hard withe side of the net when I bought him. And it's never gotten better. Do you think if I soaked tigger pods in garlic oil it would do any good?

Curious to your reasons for buying a fish with ich? And even more so why you would place that same fish directly in your display tank? I'm not seeing the correlation between the ich and the lady at the fish store with the net? Is your Mandarin showing other ailments also? Feeding with or adding garlic directly to the tank may help. However, I'm not sold on the whole idea. Ensure he is eating well and as previously stated, maintain excellent water quality.

Edited by DLindquist - April 15 2012 at 8:25pm
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 8:46pm
No the fish did not have ich when I got him. He was very stressed when we got him because the lady hit him with the net. The ich came the next day... I decided to not put him in a hospital tank because all of the stuff he eats would die in an environment with copper treatments. There is plenty of food in my tank and he still eats well. I suppose I could try adding garlic to my water.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 9:09pm
Try it and let's hope for the best.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic