Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First saltwater

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First saltwater
    Posted: April 16 2012 at 8:49pm
Hey everybody, I am Roy.. i have been contemplation a saltwater tank for quite a long time now. been running fresh water for about 12 yrs now. currently running two 55 gallon cichilid tanks right now and looking to upgrade to something new and challenging.. not to mention something to show the girlfriend how beautiful a fish tank can be.. anyway, i am thinking i will use what i have and turn my 55 into a reef tank with a 55 sump.. will have to build my own stand, but i am up to challenge. i would like to upgrade to a 90 gallon, but finances are a little tight. i am looking for as much help as i can get. sump ideas, how to run a refugium, best ph balances, and best corals to start with.. just cause corals are beautiful and that helps with with convincing the gf.. i am open to ideas and suggestions. so please please help out!! 
getting fishy??
Christianwaisath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2012 at 9:01pm
Welcome!! My first sw tank is about 6 months old right now.. I must say things have went very smoothly for me! I also did a large amount of research before hand, I would start googling your questions or asking people here specifics!   One thing I will do different in the future Is buy mostly dry rock.. And a few excelent pieces of live cured rock. And give it time to seed. That live rock gets spendy    Also start with a chromie. They are cheap to start with, or a fire fish! Just my 2c
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2012 at 9:18pm
REEF TOUR NEXT WEEKEND !!!!!! Bring a note pad and ask tons of question everyone here is so help full. You can see many great set ups and get many great ideas ! FYI never add a damsel just my 02 ! some love em but after removing 80lbs of rock to remove 1 , wont do that again .
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2012 at 9:28pm
Welcome and I am in Roy also so if you would ever like to stop by and talk salt just sent me a pm and we can work something out. 
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2012 at 9:43pm
Welcome:
Pm Sent.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2012 at 9:59pm
If you don't do anything else this weekend at least go on the Reef Tour, you will learn more in one day than you ever thought, plus it is way fun!

Camille
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2012 at 10:31pm
Yep.... Reef Tour

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 1:32pm

The Reef Tour is the best opportunity you and your girlfriend will have to see an amazing assortment of tanks in all stages of age and growth. Take your camera so you can record some setups for later referral.

I was like you and at one point around the time we started the WMAS -- ready to throw in the towel and go back to Cichlids. I'm sure glad I stuck with it and with the help of my fellow hobbyists, conquered the Ugly Green Haired Mermaid. Wink

The Reefkeeping Tips below will give you a head start on the "Secrets of an Affordable Reef Aquarium" and a whole lotta info that will help you avoid the pitfalls I fell into along the way.

Enjoy the ride. Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 7:06pm
thanx everyone.. i am glad i found this place.. appreciate all the ideas and fyi... i am trying to get a way to get around on sat. but i do work so i may hit the utah county places after i get off work.. thanx again and hope to hear from all of you a lot..
getting fishy??
Weberlaxplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 9:02pm
You can come over and check out my set up. Ill even give you some candy cane coral!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic