Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish Seems Strange

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AceMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AceMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish Seems Strange
    Posted: April 19 2012 at 9:57pm
I have a small clown that seems to be hosting my overflow.  He also likes to lay aginst the overflow and let it suck him against it, and sits there a while.  The he will break himslef free.

Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 8:22am
Is he new? If he is, probably nothing to worry about as long as he looks ok and is eating... I have had clowns that have done this when they were first put in - until they got comfortable.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 11:12am
If it's a new fish, less than a month in the tank, it could be weak and will stay in that area where water can move past it without it having to do anything. It may stay there until it regains some strength.
What food is it getting? how often? and is it eating?
How old is the tank?
Is there an anemone or coral it can live in?
Was the tank prepared ahead of time and is the fish being fed according to the Reefkeeping Tip about the "Secrets of adding new fish...."?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
AceMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AceMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 11:49am

The tank is about 3 month old it has 2 Chromis that have been in there for 2 moths, and 2 bangai that have been in it for 1 month.  No problems with other fish chasing him around.  The clown is the only one eating pelet food currently, and I have also seen him heat mysis shrimp.  I feed it in the morning and again at night.  All of my coral are very small, but I do have a lot of live rock.  The tank is a pizza shape, and the overflow is at the back of  the V.  It mainly swims back and forth along the overflow most of the time, and ocassionaly come out towards the front of the tank.  I put him in a large net yeserday for most of the day, and he seemed to do well.  It even acted like it didn't want out when I lowerd the net.  Then it just went back to the overflow.

I'll need to get some garlic and see what that does.
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 10:19am
Sounds to me like he is just adjusting.... does he have anything to host? And out of curiousity - why did you put him in a net?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 11:18am
Originally posted by AceMan AceMan wrote:

The tank is about 3 month old it has 2 Chromis that have been in there for 2 moths, and 2 bangai that have been in it for 1 month.  No problems with other fish chasing him around....  It even acted like it didn't want out when I lowerd the net.  Then it just went back to the overflow.
In the post I cannot find how long the Clownfish has been in the tank.
The reason it liked being in the net is because it feels safe there. The reason it is staying up near the overflow is for the reasons I stated before and because it feels safer there, because the other fish don't like it there.
You may not see the other fish picking on it, but believe me, it feels picked on. Think of Marlin in Finding Nemo. Some Clownfish act exactly like that, paranoid. Before making any other suggestions, I need to see a pic of the tank.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
AceMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AceMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 6:33pm
Its been in the tank for a week now.  To answer Teresa's question, I put him in the net to get him to keep him away from the overflow.  I know nets are bad, so I put some plugs in the net to keep if fully extended, and he rarely touched it.  He does swim around every once and a while, but mostly lays against the overflow, or swims around it.  In the picture you can actually see him toward the left side of the tank.

Here are my picks.

Params checked Yesterday:
NO2=0
Amonia=0
NO3=20
PO34=0
PH=8
Mag=1450
KH=12
Cal=540

Edited by AceMan - April 21 2012 at 6:40pm
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 7:40pm
I think he is just being nervous... once he has something in their to host he may be more comfortable. As long as he is eating and not showing any signs of disease I would not worry too much. I would keep the net out of the tank though and just let him get comfortable on his own...I am the worst at keeping my hands out of the tank but I know its not always a good idea :)

On a side note - do you have snails?
AceMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AceMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 9:09pm
I only have a couple of snales and hermit crabs.  I have a cleaning crew on my list of things to purchase next.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic