Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weird Ick?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Weberlaxplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird Ick?
    Posted: April 21 2012 at 9:05pm
So i always thought my tank was good, but i soon found out that was wrong and that my test kit sucks. I recently got it down and cured the ick problem. Within a week its back and stronger than ever. Weird thing is, its only effecting 2 fish.  The orange clown, and royal gramma. Both what i thought are supposed to be pretty hardy. Yet NONE of my tangs have ick. . . And they even fight periodically. . . Any ideas? I will be doing a 10% change tonight. Just like i have been doing every 3 days. . . And have stopped feeding the coral as well as feeding the fish but only every few days.
Thanks
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 12:43am
The ick problem wasn't solved in a week, it takes 6 to 8 weeks to cure ick. Infected fish are not cured just because the white spots have temporarily disappeared.  Ick cycles and each time it cycles it hits harder. The trophont ((parasitic stage) varies with temperature, around 2 to 15 days)moves about the skin, ingesting tissues and body fluids. Eventually develop into tomonts (reproductive stage) easily distinguished as white spots on skin. The tomonts may or may not drop off the host fish. Within 3 to 28 days as many as 200 tomites (swimming stage) can emerge from a single tomont. Even pretty hardy fish are not above getting sick especially with lots of protozoans (ick) in the water. Sorry, but the next post will be my tangs have ick again. 
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 12:58am
The only cures that I know work for ick are hypo salinity, copper, or uv sterilizer.
Shaun
American Fork
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 1:06am
Ok Shawn i have had a issue before like a few months ago , recently my hippo was having issue again , so again with the garlic and i run a uv. Should i catch all fish and have them in a copper tank ? I will be moving tanks in a few weeks so catching fish will be easy /
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 1:59am

Kurt, a lot of tangs are scaleless making them more susceptible to protozoans. I think in the spring/fall tend to be "ick season" as tanks get a temp. swing from furnaces off and a/c not running yet or vice versa. Stress anytime of the year can also be a factor. If you only have a problem fish once in a while and can cure it with garlic that is what I would do (I would not move them all and treat with copper). Make sure to change your uv bulb once a year, keep temp steady, and fish stress free. Feeding garlic two three times a week may also help. 

Shaun
American Fork
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 2:16am
When upgrading to your bigger tank try to keep in mind what the tangs requirements are like does he need more flow, more swimming space, more grazing area, ect. and work that in to your aquascape. 
Shaun
American Fork
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 9:26am
It may not be Ich. It may be Brooknella.

In my experience with using the Garlic Oil product that I found as effective as you described, Ich does not come back unless I stop feeding GO without changing the unhealthy conditions in the tank that caused the Ich in the first place.

Shaun may be saying a similar thing as this, that the Ich parasite is there but with stressful conditions unchanged the Ich will return.

My first thought when you said it came back was, "I'll bet a Clownfish is infected." And sure enough, a Clownfish is involved. Royal Grammas are also susceptible to Brooknella a disease which sometimes follows Ich because of the reduced health of the fish, especially if they had a bad case of Ich for longer than a week.

Have you posted a pic of the tank? That would really help a lot.

Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic