Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

candycane tissue damage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
utahwatertoys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahwatertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: candycane tissue damage
    Posted: April 23 2012 at 1:08pm
I have a candycane colony that my engineer goby spit a bunch of sand on them this morning and now they have tissue damage. Is there anything that can be done like a coral dip or something to save them? They have pin-holes here and there on the heads.

Anybody know a good way to remove an engineer goby without removing the rocks?

Edited by utahwatertoys - April 23 2012 at 1:09pm
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 6:30pm
HA!  Good luck.  I have an engineer goby and he's got plenty of caves to move between.  I can't think of any way to get one out of a tank besides tearing it down.  As a rule, I try to keep all my coral above and away from the engineer's caves.  And as for tissue damage, do you have a photo?  I have a hard time seeing a candy cane receiving tissue damage merely from having sand dumped on it.  One time I was moving some things around and I brushed a head of my candy cane against a rock, hard!  It was pissed for a couple weeks but recovered just fine.  If the tissue is receded, that does not mean it is damaged, just mad that it got sand dumped on it.  I'd advise moving the candy cane to another location versus tearing apart your tank to take out 1 fish, more than likely damaging other coral in the process.  
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:36am
The coral should recover.
Engineer Gobies are interesting but a real hassle.
The Pop Bottle Fish Trap works just as well on them as it does on any fish. I use fishing line in three places to tack the two pieces together with a long length of fishing line to make it easy to lift up from the bottom.
Place a rock inside to keep it on the bottom. Place in it a solid piece of food and put it in position at night. By morning there will be fish inside, though it may take up to a week for them to get used to it's presence in the tank.
Big smile

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
utahwatertoys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahwatertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 9:27pm
Thank you I will try the pop bottle idea. What size of pop bottle?

faith=fear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faith=fear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:04pm
also put a small mirror in the bottom.  the fish can't stand seeing another and has to go in an investigate.  worked great to get my 6-line out.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 11:31am
Thanks for the mirror idea. Thumbs Up

Almost forgot, Size of the bottle is relative to the size of the fish. In this case a water bottle would probably work, but for larger fish we would use a 2 L pop bottle and cut off the neck just far enough so the fish would be able to go in. It's kind of remarkable how they have trouble finding their way back out and eventually just sit there as though they are waiting to be released.

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 25 2012 at 11:35am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic