Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dino Algae HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 1:53pm
I will see about taking more pics when more lights come on. There seems to be some brown algae in the sand now and some stringy algae that grows on the glass. 
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 11:30am
Originally posted by kellerexpress kellerexpress wrote:

Cutting back on the water changes is a good idea, and that fresh di resin is going to help. When I spoke to you recently it sounded like you hadn't changed the di in a while, and that may have had something to do with the outbreak. I have to change my di every couple months and I deal with less water than you. Others may not agree but in my experience anything other than 0 tds causes algae/cyano issues in my tanks. Also just curious what salt do you use?

I've got 2 other thoughts, first have you ever considered hydrogen peroxide? Check this thread out http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-discussion/52084-dinoflagellates-my-experience-h2o2-reefing-tool.html
If you try this start really low on the dose and watch your sps close, but if you are desperate I think it may be worth a shot.
And second something that helped me get rid of my algae problems was carbon dosing. Vinegar specifically. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of excess nutrients but it may help.

I decided to state dosing Hydrogen Peroxide. I have dosed 10ml yesterday and this morning. Almost immediately after dosing I could tell that the dinos started to wither. I'm exited about this as I hate seeing my corals bothered by this crap. From what I understand the dinos grow best in ULNS because they donos don't have competition from other algae.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 4:13pm
Hi Trevor,
Sorry to hear you are still having issues with this tank! Have you figured out for sure what is causing the algae out breaks? Remember with the algae growth you usually won't be able to detect the nitrate or phosphates or they may read much lower then they really are due to the algae consuming them. By killing off the algae the nitrates and phosphates in the tank would most likely increase.

Also I would be concerned that with dosing the hydrogen peroxide you would also be killing off the benifical bacteria and other micro organisms that would normally help process the nitrates and phosphates from your tank. If so that might cause the algae to come back even stronger unless you either constantly continue to dose hydrogen peroxide with the unknown additional side affects or find the original cause of the algae.
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic