Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A stupid question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A stupid question
    Posted: April 29 2012 at 11:11pm
And no, I don't need someone to say that there are no stupid questions.  We all know that some are VERY stupid.  I hope this is only kind of stupid.

What defines a "mixed reef" tank, and how does it differ from a reef tank?
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 11:16pm
Im extremely interested to hear what people say on this subject. 

Ive heard several different reasons in the past. 

1) A mixed reef is a reef with LPS, SPS, Softies etc. 

2)Someone once said a mixed reef is a reef with non safe reef animals mixed with corals. 

3) Ive heard it defined as SPS mixed with anything else....

These are the main three. Frankly I hear #1 more often than the other 2. So Im interested in what everyone else says. 

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 11:34pm
The only stupid questions is the one you don't ask.
-High school teacher
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 11:37pm
Disney, that makes sense.

Billy, I'm pretty sure that every teacher that ever said that regretted it immediately.  :)
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 11:41pm
Just kidding! I agree with disneymania. Mixed reef is usually a reef tank that doesn't really focus on a specific type of coral. I think the key word is "focus." I consider my tank an SPS tank even though I have a few other types of corals because its chemistry, lighting, flow, etc, is focused on keeping SPS corals (not to mention the fact that 90% of the corals were SPS). Also the tank was scaped in a way that really highlighted and displayed the SPS corals. My first tank was a "mixed reef" because I just bought any kind of coral I thought was cool regardless of type. I would imagine also that to be considered a "mixed reef" tank, that you would need to have various SPS, LPS, softies, and maybe even NPS.

Edited by BillyC - April 29 2012 at 11:43pm
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 11:43pm
I'm leaning towards a smaller (30-60g) tank with a focus on a geographic region not a type of coral.  I'm thinking Indonesia would give me a ton of options for a smaller tank!

Edited by cba191 - April 29 2012 at 11:46pm
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 11:55pm
If your range is 30-60 I'd highly suggest you go for the 60g otherwise you will wish you had more room.

Focusing on a geographic region sounds interesting. One problem is this... You won't be able to buy corals from local reefers because most of us don't really keep track of the coral's geographic origin. Many corals are found in more than one region of the world. Also when people see your tank it won't be obvious that you have a geographical theme and you'll most probably have to explain it. There are so many cool corals that you will be missing out on too. I have always loved the theme idea though and I could be totally wrong about the geographical theme thing. There are other awesome themes out there you might wanna look into if you haven't yet.
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 12:04am
I understand how difficult keeping track of corals could be, but the fish and invertebrates are something that I could control.

I've always wanted to dive in Indonesia, but I don't see that happening that any time soon, but a tank is doable.
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 3:26am
Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

If your range is 30-60 I'd highly suggest you go for the 60g otherwise you will wish you had more room.

I'm sure you're probably right, but space and money are an issue.  I'm seriously leaning towards a Red Sea 130D.  I'd love to find a used 250, but I won't hold my breath on that.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 1:30pm
Here are some of my "themed" tanks

Speaking of teachers, this 120 gal Suspended Reef tank housed Mr. Ray as in "Finding Nemo".

Though this tank was never filled with water and all the rock was eventually sold to other hobbyists, it was themed around a very popular movie which featured the floating mountains of Pandora.

All of that rock, LBTR, VidaRock and Southern Utah Red Rock is found locally and works awesome in reef aquariums.

Okay if that perked your interest, here is one more, my 9 gal Hawaii-Utah tank. Almost everything came from these two states. Rock and sand from Hawaii and Utah, Anemones, coral and Caulerpa from Utah and the two Nemos in each anemone were grown by us in our clownfish hatchery/nursery.

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 30 2012 at 1:34pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 1:35pm
I love looking at tank pics!
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 1:44pm
I just thought it meant you mixed your own salt water... but what do I know, I only have a 6 nano...

P.S. that was a really bad joke, I'm agreeing with Disney!
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic