Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Green hair algea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 12:15am
Hanna tester require reagents like all test so reloads are needed
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 7:21pm
Those incoming and outgoing TDS levels say to me that the RO Membrane is going bad and needs to be changed. Changing the prefilters, sediment and Activated Carbon should be done every 6-10 months. The new membrane should purify the water to 10 ppm or less.

I'm assuming that the PO4 level is down. I'd add a few snails and hermits as a test. I'll bet they survive. If they are still good in a week, add more snails(less if they are Pacific Turbos) and a Tang or Rabbitfish .

Within a few weeks the algae will be less and the lights can be brought back up. Keep the snail population replenished to prevent another algae outbreak.

When an herbivorous fish dies, we have to account for the loss of algae eating capacity. If the dead fish is not able to be found and removed, we have to account for the sudden increase in nutrients as it decomposes or is turned into waste by the cleanup crew. (This is what sometimes feeds a sudden bloom of Cyanobacteria.)

Enjoy
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 1:49pm
ok I wil go buy that Phosphate tester,change out membrane&filters, and add snails. thanksSmile

Morlaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morlaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 1:30pm
An Long Spine Urchin works well to, also cut down your lighting, feed less, and get lots of snails and crabs.
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 1:08pm
Update:
i changed out my old filters, and RO membrane. my tds use to read 27ppm. now it reads 32ppm??Confused
These were purchased new from BRS. I have filled up five 5gallon buckets and it still reads 32ppm
not very happy about thatOuch  also it ok to add distilled water? the tds reads 3ppm

I have also added a sump, and looking to add a protein skimmer.
I also purchased 100snails from Reefcleaners.org  when they get here how should i acclimate them?
reefdmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefdmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 1:24pm
I started getting hairline when there was sunlight in the room. I completely draped all windows and have not seen it ever since. O also I was trying to get my clowns to spawn so i had the light on for 10-12 hours a day and thats when i noticed a huge spike. Everyone else has great information but i just though i would share my experience with you. Hope you solve your problem soon! 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 2:02pm
If after 25 gallons the RO water is at 32 ppm, it could be a defective membrane, but first remind us what the answers were to these questions:
What is the TDS of your tap water?
What is the water pressure at your house?

Snail acclimation is also discussed in the WMAS Reefkeeping Tip "Secrets of Adding New Fish...."
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 4:48pm
Has any one asked about the age of your lights? Just a thought.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Lewy Lewy wrote:

Has any one asked about the age of your lights? Just a thought.

How would this effect hair algae? I'm not smarting off, I really am curious. It was my understanding the lights feeds growth so the natural consequence of old lights to me would seem to have the opposite effect?
180 Gallon, 75 gallon, 30 gallon, 5 gallon. On a side note: I have just now decided that "Gallon" is a funny looking word.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 6:07pm
I agree, though there may be a small effect of the change in spectrum of old lights, sometimes moving away from blue and toward a yellow spectrum that grows nuisance algae better.
* Truth is, in my experience, it's mostly just a coincidence.
Most hobbyists are newer hobbyists with less than 2 years experience.
Newer hobbyists are not as familiar with the growth and changes of a reef aquarium.
As snails die and the inexperienced hobbyist fails to replace them, the amount of visible algae increases.
At about this the same time the lights are reaching the age where they need to be replaced.
See the coincidence?
Smile
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 7:34pm
Have you tried a yellow tang yet. I know people say tangs are a hit and miss but I've had luck with all 3 of mine. If you would like bring some hair algae by my house and we can feed some to my fish to see. If you happen to buy one and he doesn't eat it Ill go ahead and buy it from you. Good luck with the battle I've been there my self.
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 2:17am
I already have a Sailfin Tang or I would be happy to buy a yellow tang. Lights are 2 months old.
tap water is 270ppm. Not sure about water pressure.  Really confused about my Membrane. would hate to buy another one, and have it read 30+ppm as wellSleepy
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 11:08am
That ppm is either wrong or the membrane is defective. Is it a TFC membrane or a CTA membrane? What you want is a TFC membrane.

270 ppm TDS is quite low for city water. In St. George the TDS is over 500 ppm and you can taste the difference. When I lived there, the RO units purified water to less than 20 ppm. Properly functioning, yours should purify that 270 ppm water to less than 5 ppm

Is this a hand held tester? If so, I'd take that TDS tester and some of that 32 ppm water to the nearest water store or LFS to compare against another TDS testing unit. Take along some tap water too, just to verify it's TDS.
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 9:06pm
forgot to bring tds to compare  to others. But a couple samples i took read 4ppm for distilled water. 10ppm RO from Reef On. and 24ppm from Another LFS
I'm not sure if my RO was a TFC or CTA. here is the one I purchased.

also i bought some snails and one had a lot of these white things on them. they all came off, and stuck to the glass, and i believe they've multiplied. what are these?

Edited by herrera - June 21 2012 at 10:03pm
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 12:04am
Did you add nerite snails? Bet they are snail eggs not many make it to maturity but i do get a few that do .

herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 12:16pm
yes i did add Nerite snails.Big smile sweet, hope i get a few that make it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic