Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starfish for 24gal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HairlessPotter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairlessPotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starfish for 24gal
    Posted: May 03 2012 at 7:17pm
Ok i know this question is often asked and i have done much research on starfish but find differing opinions. I know 24gal is small for most all starfish and they will eventually die. My question is is there any starfish that would actually do good in my nanocube? Its about 5 months old and it would be probably a couple more months before i get one anyway. The tank has corals and 2 oscellaris clowns plus the CUC. I have a lot of live rock and lots of little critters around the tank and in the sand. I've been looking into the marble sea star but it seems like it may do good, it may not. Any opinions on what starfish would do best? Or if i should just not get one at all? I don't want one dying and messing up my parameters, i would rather just not get one in the first place if that is the general outcome. Anybody have experience with stars in nano reefs? Thanks in advance
24gal Mixed Reef
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 7:50pm
I have a serpent star in my 29 gal and it is doing fine. Eventually it will have to go because they get very big though
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 7:51pm
Harlequin serpent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairlessPotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 8:00pm
Thank you both! I like the look of those harlequin serpents, are they out a lot during the day?
24gal Mixed Reef
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 8:02pm
The only thing I really see of mine are the legs sticking out whatever dark area it has decided to be in that day. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairlessPotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 8:06pm
Dang, thats too bad. Maybe i'll have to try one out anyway though
24gal Mixed Reef
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 8:11pm
I thinks its cool. Mine is a black serpent, not the harlequin. Maybe those are more active during the day but I don't know
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 8:34pm
Loved my harlequin it was so cool
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairlessPotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 10:07pm
I might have to get one then. Aquatic Dreams has them almost every time i go there but they're usually pretty big.
24gal Mixed Reef
Christianwaisath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 10:16pm
I have a black bristle stare he is really neat in my 29 gallon:)
Christianwaisath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 10:17pm
Grows fast though
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 1:54pm
Most serpent and brittle sea stars will come out in search of food - when you feed.  Otherwise, they remain mostly hidden during lights-on.  My harlequin serpent has been great in the nano.  I see its legs all the time - most kids think it has to be an octopus.  However, when I feed it comes out into the open and does a great job catching food.  

It also makes short work of any fish that my die in the tank.  It leaves nothing but bones.  I've never had a problem with it capturing live fish.  In fact, the firefish sleeps right on top of the serpent most nights. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairlessPotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 2:06pm
Sounds like the harlequin serpent is the one to go with then! Thanks for the help Smile
24gal Mixed Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic