Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aggressive Clown Fish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rbrinton2373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aggressive Clown Fish
    Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:57pm
Before I ask this question I know that clown fish can become territorial and aggressive towards other fish.  I have a snowflake clown that seems to be peaceful to the other fish and organisms in my tank but whenever I put my hand in the tank, weather for spot feeding corals or cleaning getting water samples etc... this fish instantly starts attacking my hand.  Is this a common attribute of the fish or is mine just screwy?  
Ryan
Semper Fi
60 gal cube w/39 gal Sump\
MH + T5s
TSUNAMI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSUNAMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 1:07pm
Fairly common, at least it has been for me, especially if they're hosting something. 
135 Reef Vortech mp40w & mp60
40 SPS w Maxspect-Ps & MP10w
220 Build in progress :)
markandmelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markandmelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 2:19pm
I had a pair of orange and white ocellaris, and a pair of black and white ocellaris. Both females were vicious. I think they were more aggressive than the sohal tang I had. Same scenerio, the second my fingers went in the tank (even at the opposite end from where they hang out) instant attacking. Got to the point I had to net the females and isolate them if I wanted to do anything inside the tank. 
If you are not laughin' you're not livin'!

210g - just out of storage, deciding what to put in it
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 2:44pm
My gold bar is the same way but lets me get to the other side of the tank. but if i get close to its spot, look out.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 3:16pm
my clown is the same way. makes me crazy when i'm trying to do something in there
105 rimless
BubbleGuppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BubbleGuppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 3:52pm
My mocha does the same thing I have found though that she stay away from nets so If I put a net between her and my hand even it's it's a tiny one she will stay away. She doesn't like fingers pointed at her either. 
Jeni

72Gal Bowfront Mixed Reef
46gal Bowfront Mixed Reef
20gal mixed reef
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 5:46pm
Mine is perfectly okay with all other fish or even humans... but if I put my hand in the tank he will charge all the way from one end to the other to bite me...
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 6:00pm
Just be glad it's not a clarkii they draw blood and take chunks of skin!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 6:45pm
I have a pair of mochas and im fine with my hand in the tank unless I get within about a foot of their anemone and then its on , but if my hand is in there for a few minutes they seem to relax a bit and tend to leave me alone for like 30 sec ....
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 8:56pm
i would say quite common i had a percula that did the same and it fought with a damsel all the time even though the damsel would run and hide the clown would beat in him

SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 9:40pm
Classic clownfish.  I've had similar encounters with clowns that were very established in the the tank. most prominently from a clown from an old tank.  I've had best luck with clown purchased very small.  I have, however, only dealt with percula and occelaris clowns.  
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 9:55pm
So normal, when my perc was little I was vacuuming once and I moved Spongebobs house. He swam up and bit me! He did claim it as his own and I knew it. I was so mad! So I grabbed my tongs and chased him around the tank for a good 2 min. Then when I wasn't satisfied, I chased him with my hand he bit. Now my hand goes in the tank and he'll swim near my hand but if I make a flicking motion near him he swims away. 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic