Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bleaching Idaho Grape Monti

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bleaching Idaho Grape Monti
    Posted: May 05 2012 at 4:19pm
Hey guys, a couple of weeks ago my LFS brought it a beautiful large colony of Idaho grape, I think it actually came in as a trade.  I really wanted it, but didn't have the $70 price tag they wanted even though I felt it was a really good deal.  Well, I went in yesterday and the beautiful purple has turned in to a kind of brownish purple and it had started to bleach out.  The owner told me $30 so I snagged it up.  I also grabbed a small red monti and a brown/green monti.  They are all showing GREAT polyp extension, even the bleaching idaho grape, and on a side note an acro frag I've had in my tank for several months is finally starting to extend polyps!  =)  My rambling aside, what can I do to help this idaho grape recover better from the bleaching?  Right now I  have this monti about 10" from the top of the tank.  These are my first montipora corals. 
Paramters:
SG1.025
dKh-10
Phos 0.25ppm
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate: 5ppm
Temp 80-77 (day/night)
Calcium 420
This is a 75 gallon aquarium with 36 3watt leds. 

SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 4:33pm
ON a side note, the coral tank this monti came from at the LFS, params are unknown.  It was mixed with many other SPS and LPS and I don't think care was often taken to make sure things weren't touching.  The flow in this tank was also fairly low.  I anticipate decent recovery with the fact that it's showing great polyps extension, I was just wondering if there is anything I could or should do to ensure a speedier recovery.
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 10:19am
Just watch it for color fade/bleach as your tank likely has different lighting and its now on its 3rd tank in as many weeks.... in my experience Idaho grape is more or less a weed as far as SPS goes.... so I would not worry about it overly much.  I sold "all" of mine and its now growing in three more spots in my tank.  So long as your Ca is even close to 350+ and your light is moderate in intensity you should be good.   Not a high light coral, not a demanding coral as far as SPS goes, a great coral to rescue!  
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic