Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Added a couple corals then this

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Added a couple corals then this
    Posted: May 13 2012 at 12:33pm
I added a couple of zoa's about a month ago and they got attacked by what look like a brown slim/alge.  I have dipped both of the corals in Coral RX (got that and learned about dipping after this started).  One of the frags looks pretty good the other one is still fighting.  This moring I noticed that my bubble corals was accting off.  I am not sure what I should do for the Bubble I know that they are more picky. Added pictures below.
All of the tank numbers are normal. Mag 1350, Alk 8.5, Cal 420, PH 7.93 to 8.33 depending on the time of day.

This is one of the first frags added with the problem.
Before shot.
The spot in questions on the bubble.
Full shot of the bubble.

220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 10:07am
Anyone?
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 10:33am
Gosh, I wish I had some answer, I do not.
Weberlaxplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 10:53am
Its hard to say... My tank almost had the same problem... I started dosing Vodka...I heard its risky though. So i am not recommending it... I only did it once or twice and it cleared up my problem...
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 10:58am
Vodka?  I have been thinking about that I do have a good skimmer to help pull out the extra crud.  I have just read both that it is good and bad.  I have also been told the same about dipping corals.  I am starting to thing that if I loose one coral because I dipped it it would be better than loosing all the corals in my tank because I did not dip it. 
I was checking in my sump and notice so of the redish alge growing on some of my micro alge Still not sure if that is good or bad. 

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 12:54pm
Nitrates? Phosphates?

That looks more like cyano on the bubble. You could try increasing flow around the affected corals.
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 1:36pm
I did reset all of my power heads yesterday.  I am also going to adjust my lighting.  I changed up my lighting time last week and think that might be the problem.  I have been feeding the same for the last 8 months and have not had a problem.  I am also going to bump my mag up a little to see if that will help my Zoa's. 
Well that is my plan for now. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 5:28pm
A full tank pic would be helpful.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Weberlaxplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

That looks more like cyano on the bubble.
Thumbs Up
+1
Cyano i agree... Can be fought by doing massive water changes or dosing Vodka, like i said before... I know some people that dose every other day and their tank's are amazing...
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 7:36pm
Doseing Vodka is asking for a crash. Cyano is the result of a problem issue. Bad water quality, inadiquate lighting etc. Adding vodka to mask an issue is insureing an issue in the future ;)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 7:39pm
I am thinking it is a lighting issue. Was using the sunrise/sunset. Option on my apex. That is about 4 more hours of light than I had before.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 7:42pm
Zoa's like a high amount of Iodine as well. If it gets low they start to melt.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Weberlaxplayer Weberlaxplayer wrote:

Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

That looks more like cyano on the bubble.

Thumbs Up

+1

Cyano i agree... Can be fought by doing massive water changes or dosing Vodka, like i said before... I know some people that dose every other day and their tank's are amazing...

That is actually a really bad idea. Dosing vodka is a carbon source. It feeds bacteria that is the whole point of dosing it. Cyano is a bacteria....
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 8:40pm
I would do about 10-15% water changes every week for a little while, and increase flow through the tank, especially around those areas it should help to reduce the cyano. Hermit crabs are also sometimes good at eating cyanobacteria.
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

Doseing Vodka is asking for a crash. Cyano is the result of a problem issue. Bad water quality, inadiquate lighting etc. Adding vodka to mask an issue is insureing an issue in the future ;)

I have to disagree Dion, I dose vodka all the time and it really seems to help.... almost immediately! It has caused a couple crashes but nothing time won't heal....

Oh wait - are you talking about dosing the tank???? Wink
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 8:52am
Looks like cyano to me too.

Just cut your feeding down to twice a week, turn back the lighting for a couple of days, and do a water change. 

Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 9:34am
I think I found a few problems that I have fixed. First I adjusted my water flow a little. I did put the tank on a 4 day fast. I also replaced the light in my sump. The light I put down was a 27k soft white not a 65k that it should have been. All little problems that may have caused my Breakout. I think I will skip the vadka dosing but I will my Brandy dosing. It seems to put a smile on the care taker 's face
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 10:55am
LOL
How are the Zoanthids? Still sliming?
I have found that a vigorous brushing makes them happy. I use an old soft bristle tooth brush. Sometimes they open back up within an hour of a brushing, almost as though they are saying "thank you, I needed that".

Anytime I see an increase of Cyano the next question that comes to my mind is, "Where did the extra nutrients just come from?" In this case it was probably a little too much supplemental feeding coupled with the dieing flesh of the Zoanthids.
The Zoanthid problem may have started up because of too much food. Normally there are nocturnal bugs and worms that keep things clean by their eating habits. With overfeeding comes "laziness". Not really, but when the bugs have so much extra to eat, they stop scouring the coral and rock surfaces for any food they can find. Surface bacterial slime builds up which restricts respiration and inhibits the washing away of waste. All this combines to create a bad situation of suffocation and decline. It's all inter-related like a vicious circle. I hope this is making sense.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 11:38am
Thanks for th reply Mark. 

Everything in the tank seems to be doing except for the zoa's.  The frag with the zoa's i only seem to have 2-3 heads left that are even trying to open up.  Most have gotten so small that I am thinking that I am going to loose that frag.  I brushed them on Monday night and it does not seem to be a slim on them it is a green fuzz.  My bubble coral got brushed Monday night and is back to normal. With the changes listed above cyano seem to be on it's way out. 

I am will to try just about anything to save the zoa's frag.  The zoa's still look like the pic but the heads are much smaller. 
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Tresa Tresa wrote:

Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

I have to disagree Dion, I dose vodka all the time and it really seems to help.... almost immediately! It has caused a couple crashes but nothing time won't heal....

Oh wait - are you talking about dosing the tank???? Wink

ROFLMAO!! You are my HERO Teresa!!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic