Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is my cucumber dying?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is my cucumber dying?
    Posted: May 14 2012 at 11:26pm
I noticed tonight that my cucumber was looking really shrunken and odd-colored. When I went closer, I saw that one of the emerald crabs had it in basically a bear hug and didn't want to let go when I pushed it a bit with my sand-stirring stick.

I scooped up the cucumber and watched it for a while. It stiffened up when I first did it, but went kind of limp a bit later. It was moving its feet things but had all its tentacles(?) pulled in. It tried to move a bit but looked really jerky and slow.

I got worried so I've moved him into a container that is floating in the tank in case it goes bad tonight
I hope he pulls through, but don't want to risk anything, especially since I'm holding some corals for a friend.

I'm pretty bummed. He came with the tank, and was the first inhabitant that got a name.

Is there anything I can do?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 11:50am
Sounds to me like a very normal reaction to being held in the grip of a crab. I would put it back on the sand. It's not going to get better floating up near the lights with nothing to eat. Please show us a pic of the tank so we can help you with any thing else we might see.
Don't worry, the rumors about Cukes are very exaggerated.
Are you using AC?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic