Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap LED lighting???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap LED lighting???
    Posted: May 30 2012 at 12:25pm
Im looking to upgrade my T-5s but the prices for LEDs are still a bit out of my price range. I found some cheap ones but the reviews all say that the lens doesnt diffuse the lights enough and they look spotlight'ish...
They claim that the the LEDs are "Individual & replaceable lenses" any idea if its possible to buy wider angel lens to get more light spread? Or should i just wait and save up for something a little nicer? I need enough light to keep my 72g mixed reef thriving.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 12:28pm
Wow.  For that cost you could get much better led's.  Ask ksmart about his lights.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 1:37pm
Glad I stopped by lol. I purchased an led fixture off of ebay for like 150 bucks shipped. I've had it for a few months and hopefully soon I'll be adding another one to my set up (65 gallon)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TaoTronics-TT-GL002-Aquarium-Coral-Reef-Tank-black-Blue-LED-Grow-Light-120W-/150826645484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231df7f7ec#ht_3005wt_1396

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 1:46pm
Ok you just replied as i sent you a PM, ebay is blocked from my work computer but i will give it a look when i get home. Also is that enough light to replace the T-5s or is that to add to? And will it be enough light to keep LPS?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 2:31pm

Looking at the LEDs on my phone, they are up to $189.00 now, but looking at their coverage i assume i would need 2 for my tank, which makes them cost $378. The fixture i was looking at was a 48" fixture so if i could figure out how to diffuse the lighting better i could save (theoretically) $150. Or if im going to spend almost 400 I think i will just opt in for a better MH/actinic combo...

lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 2:53pm

You can also look at it like this.  On my tank I run 6 48" T5 lights.  I should replace bulbs every 6-8 months.  I have been running ATI bulbs and they are around $23 each.  So I have a yearly cost of $276 just for bulbs.  Most Led fixtures will last between 5 and 7 years with out any lights going out. 7 years the T5's will cost $1932. If you do spend $378 on 2 fixtures, that would give you $1554 over 7 years that you could spend on other upgrades, corals, and fish. 

One other thing I would like to point out. Say a year down the road you want to upgrade your tank to say a 6 foot tank.  You would just need to add one more fixture and you would be set on lighting the other way you would need to go through a full build on your lighting.

Just my point of view.   
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 3:14pm
But for each additional fixture = additional power cords... sigh, i guess you cant have your cake and eat it too...
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 3:49pm
Im growing sps and lps under mine

shawn0999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawn0999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 8:54am
EBay has 3watt Cree fixtures 50 watts for 119

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 8:20am
Found a youtube video of the Taotronic lights KSmart recommends
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 1:48pm
I just ordered my second fixture today for 158 bucks free shipping.

napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 11:21pm
i picked up dimmable 150 w led's locally for $279. i needed two but they look awesome!

Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 2:13pm
ksmart how long have you had that LED fixture? Has your coral been growing and is still happy? I have been reading some good and some very bad reviews on them. Mostly from people who dont seem to have any first hand experience.
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 2:59pm
I've had it since February and its been awesome so far. I like that it has a separate switch for the blue and white. The one fixture isnt enough for my tank which is why I ordered another one. I have most of my sps under it and I'm getting some really awesome colors out of them. Most of my lps is on the sand bed and Im getting some really cool colors out of them as well. So far I'm really happy with it. I've seen on ebay newer led fixtures called apollo 4 or apollo 7 that look better than what I've got but they are little bit more expensive. The only thing I'd change about my fixture is you can get one with 25 blues and 30 whites (mine has 30 blues and 25 whites).

gmc9sqm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmc9sqm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 9:50pm
i also have the exact same led's that ksmart has, i have 4 of them on my 210. they are awesome lights! 
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 2:03pm
Have you guys seen the dimable ones that look basicly the same? Does anything know if they are as good, they dont have the same brand name on them but look as if they are probably made by the same people... just a guess though.
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic