Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To Reef Crystal or Regular Salt?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Reef Crystal or Regular Salt?
    Posted: May 31 2012 at 9:01am
As my tank matures I am looking toward moving to a reef specific salt formula. So I began thinking about this a bit.  I understand that a lot of it will depend on my alk, Ca and Mg test results.  A little background:  The tank is 55 gallons with a 20 gallon sump.  Lots of live rock and about 10 fish. There are about 20 easy to raise coral, mostly zoas, a couple of lobos and some acans in the tank. I have begun to frag some of it off and have a nursery rack set up in the tank.  I do >10% water changes each week (we have a FOWLR too that is also 55 gallons so I mix 15 gallons of water and split it between the tanks). The reef tank is doing well, all zeros across the tests, pH is 8.2 to 8.4 consistantly and I have 0.03 PPM phosphates. I'm using the standard new-guy salt, Instant Ocean. I currently don't test Ca, Alk, or Mg, but realize that I will have to start soon.

I hear many people using a salt mix that is designed for reefs. I also hear of a lot of people dosing.  My question is do I change to a reef salt and start dosing (once the test results show it's needed) or do I stay with the standard salt, do the water changes and dose as needed?  I'm having a hard time understanding the purpose of a reef salt if you're dosing anyway.

Thanks,
Fat
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 11:15am
It's purely personal preference.
I'm a lazy reefer, very cost conscious, yet practical minded.
I prefer to buy 200 gal boxes of regular Instant Ocean salt because of cost and balanced Alk and Ca.
Most serious hobbyists eventually have coral growing out their ears. No matter what fancy salt mix is used, water changes are the troublesome way to keep the 2 major elements satisfied. It's so much easier to pour in some homemade Alk and Ca solutions. As that becomes too much trouble the next step is to add a Calcium Reactor.
The next 2 major elements of concern, Mg and I, must be added via supplements anyway.
Hope this helps.
Big smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 31 2012 at 11:16am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 12:20pm
Do your research on reef crystals and the problems associated with it. I would also say there are better salts then others depending on your targeted goal. 
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 2:00pm
Aquarium Creations -- not necessarily looking a the brand Reef Crystals, just looking to see if I should jump to a salt mix that's created to provide what's used in reef tanks.  If I change to a reef salt, would I still need to dose provided I do 10% water changes weekly?  If so, is there a reason to change? 

Thanks for the comments and I appreciate the advice if I switch.

Fat
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 2:03pm
That all depends on the demand of your aquarium, testing would be the only way to know that.
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 1:20am
I use Aqua Craft Marine-Enironment and have been very happy with it. Before that I used D-D H2Ocean.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 6:55am
Im using Red Sea Coral Pro salt, i dont have tons of corals to demand lots CA but so far just doing my monthly water change had kept my CA and Alk levels up. I do have to test and add mag/iodine from time to time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic