Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nano 24 Setup for Office

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nano 24 Setup for Office
    Posted: June 01 2012 at 11:55pm
I picked up a JBJ Nano 25 from Will to set up a tank in my office.  It has the PC compact lights.  I've have some Vida Rock I won that I'll use for the bulk of the rocks, with argonite sand.  I've had it set up at home temporarily to clean it.  I ran vinegar water for a couple of days, and then cleaned everything off.  Here it is before siphoning the last of the crud out off of the floor.  It now looks almost new.

I'm aiming for a fairly easy maintenance tank.  I'll peel off a section of the back to allow for a small light and some macro in the rear section a little down the road, but otherwise will use the mechanical filtration more typical for these.  Tomorrow I'll move it to the office and set up the sand, some rock, and get it running.  Probably on Monday I'll seed it with some sand, water, and live rock from the home tank and a little macro.

So, any suggestions on coral and fish?  For coral, I'm thinking pom-pom Xenia, frogspawn, candy canes and zoas.  I'm not so sure on fish, so let me know what you think would be interesting and low maintenance fish for this tank.  I don't want to be very heavy on the fish.
40 Gal. Breeder - 20 L refug/sump
Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 11:14pm
Here's an update on this, with a photo:

The rubble in the front left corner will eventually go in a chamber in the back along with some other rubble.  It is from my home tank and I am using to seed this tank.  I also added about a quart of live rock and a good deal of live water.  I just added some additional snails to catch up to the algae on it.  I'd only had two over the past week.

The cheato is just up front while I work out a light for the rear chamber.  (I plan to put the rubble in the bottom of the middle chamber, then cheato on the top.  I thinking of trying to rig up a two led light for the cheato from the moonlight kits from rapidled.com (using white led's rather than blue, of course).

The biggest problem is heat.  Our office is not air conditioned on the weekend.  I did some research and am experimenting with running it as a warmer water reef.  Essentially, I figure it will be better to keep it warmer than to let the temperature go up and down.  So, It is currently running at about 84 degrees.  Fortunately, the past weekends have been cooler.  I'll be building a hood insert for the weekends that will raise the lights enough to have a fan blow across it for cooling on the weekends.  We'll see how that works.  However, if anyone has a small chiller for around $100, I'd be interested.

So far, I've got a royal gramma, several frags I picked up at frag fest, along with a small clean up crew.  So far, they seem happy.  I'm hoping to put in a goby/shrimp combo, and probably one other fish, but I'm still researching them for how they do at higher temperatures.
40 Gal. Breeder - 20 L refug/sump
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 10:30am
Sweet!  Sounds like this will be a great tank that you can enjoy at work.  Having had a 150 gallon tank at my old office I canattest that a smaller tank would be more enjoyable.  I had to stay after work many hours to take care of the larger tank.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic