Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flood!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 7:26pm
I had a friend that worked for UDK and he said to only use fans and not heat....heat helps grow mold. If it were me (and I have had 5 gallons on the floor before) I would just use fans and no heat. When I had to do it I pulled up as much carpet as I could to let under it breathe, and then just rekick the carpet back in place once I felt comfortable
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 10:08pm
Oh come on Dion... if you use a gate valve on a herbie its almost fool proof, lol!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 10:21pm
Did you just call me a fool?????      ;)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 11:54pm
Yes he did!
220 G SPS Display.

Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 8:34am
Originally posted by badfinger badfinger wrote:

When I had to do it I pulled up as much carpet as I could to let under it breathe, and then just rekick the carpet back in place once I felt comfortable

Pulling up carpet and putting it back down correctly isnt really like lifting the rug and hanging it out to dry. 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Tanuki Tanuki wrote:

Originally posted by badfinger badfinger wrote:

When I had to do it I pulled up as much carpet as I could to let under it breathe, and then just rekick the carpet back in place once I felt comfortable

Pulling up carpet and putting it back down correctly isnt really like lifting the rug and hanging it out to dry. 
I consider myself to be pretty handy but that's how I felt too. I've never really messed with carpet before.
21G Reefer Nano
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 9:22am
I ahve a UV Heat Light that i use to Dry Automotive paint that would work alot better than a space Heater.
If you would like to borrow it. Its kinda bulky but works fantastic for dry drying carpet. Been there done that.Big smile
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 10:05am
I've had some experience installing carpet and my dad and friends have most the tools that's why I felt fine doing it.....carpets not hard, just takes a tole on your knees. If you have ever seen or installed carpet you would know what I mean. You just have to use a carpet kicker to get it back in place correctly as long as it doesn't need to be restretched, that's where it gets tricky. Not hard just more tools.

If you were closer to me I would come help, but I would take builder up on his offer and you shouldn't have any issues
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 1:02pm
I think you'll be fine the way you're going. I have also had a few floods, and although they're a HUGE pain, fortunately like Dion says, saltwater doesn't grow mold, at least not nearly as much as fresh. A good carpet cleaner machine will remove any visible sale residue and you're good. Best of luck!
90G Mixed Reef
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 5:12pm
lmao Dion just read that agian and it could be taken the wrong way...you know your my buddy lolBeer
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 8:21pm
I know...Had to give you a hard time though!!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 8:31pm
I hate to give my bad experience, but I did the same thing that people are recommending and we had about 5 gallons or so of water flow out as well. We didn't realize until when we moved out of our house and selling the tank that we did have
MOLD! We had a 110 .
Pa

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic