Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shark tank NEED HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reefdmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefdmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shark tank NEED HELP!
    Posted: June 13 2012 at 1:21pm
I am leaving UT and hate missing out on this forum. I have to start from scratch and i i wanted to try a shark tank this time. I was wondering if any of you have a black fin shark in any of your tanks? if so what are your tank dimensions and how many gallons do you have? I was thinking of making a 5 feet cube with a hight of 2 feet . I would greatly appreciate any help from anyone. Thanks!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 2:20pm
Black fin shark?  I would totally go with a trough.  Ask Steve Ekins about this new tank.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 4:51pm
I was watching tanked last night and they were making a shark tank but on all their installs they make the corners rounded so the sharks can continuously swim without bumping their noses. And on that show they talked about the black tip reef shark and that they can and may grow over 3 feet. Rhey also talk about how they need lots of swimming space, so idk if u want it 5ft...I'm not a professional but I love that show and they are professionals, but wherever you might be getting one, talk to the people yr getting it from.
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
reefdmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefdmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 10:29pm
I love that show! ya i agree....i'll be doing my HW before i even start the project. Just wanted some feedback. Thanks guys!
tanked34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanked34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 1:16pm
That'll be cool! Be sure to post pics whenever you get this project underway!
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

I was watching tanked last night and they were making a shark tank but on all their installs they make the corners rounded so the sharks can continuously swim without bumping their noses. And on that show they talked about the black tip reef shark and that they can and may grow over 3 feet. Rhey also talk about how they need lots of swimming space, so idk if u want it 5ft...I'm not a professional but I love that show and they are professionals, but wherever you might be getting one, talk to the people yr getting it from.

Did you see the tank they pulled the black tip out of??? It didn't have rounded cornersWink
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 1:00pm
^^^^^Dosent make it right.

Aquatic Dreams had one in their old store. It was 20" long with rounded corners and those sharks didnt seam to ever stop swimming.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 1:03pm
Your right it doesn't, didn't say it did. Is it a necessity though? Thats all I was trying to say.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 2:01pm
According to all Ive read yes. If not sharks have a tendency to run into the wall or get very confused. Their "radar" helps them to keep from running into things. However a corner dosen't compute very well and if they are running into them every time they turn it will cause stress and we all know what happens when fish stress.

Can he do it square corners? ya. can he keep one in a 5'cube? ya. Is it good for the shark? no. Will the shark live a long life? probably not.
Does my rambling matter? not really ;)

The same isn't true of bamboo sharks or other sedentary predators. They don't spend their lives swimming all day.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 5:22pm
Yes! I realize that they say round but every effing tank i see on that show or most of them, they arent round... Anyways i think you will be fine with square:) I dont know if five feet is enough though, but im not the expert.. Good luck!
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

^^^^^Dosent make it right.

Aquatic Dreams had one in their old store. It was 20" long with rounded corners and those sharks didnt seam to ever stop swimming.

I saw that tank and it was actually 20' not 20" which was way better for the sharks. Wink LOL
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 10:43am
LOL!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 11:40am
Black fin / Black tip sharks definitely need alot more room than a 5 foot square tank.

They get to be close to 3 feet long, so the tank would only be twice as long as the fish in every direction. It will end up basically swimming in a constant circle and will probably get stressed out from that motion.

If you want a shark, a better choice for that tank size would be an epaullete shark. They don't need to constantly swim around like the black tips do...

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

Black fin / Black tip sharks definitely need alot more room than a 5 foot square tank.

They get to be close to 3 feet long, so the tank would only be twice as long as the fish in every direction. It will end up basically swimming in a constant circle and will probably get stressed out from that motion.

If you want a shark, a better choice for that tank size would be an epaullete shark. They don't need to constantly swim around like the black tips do...

+1
papa-squid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa-squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

I agree. I've seen the show too. And if you don't want the shark to trap itself in a corner and keep bumping its nose it will eventually die. I've heard this to be true to an extent some people have a 210+ gallon tank and maybe a little better for a short period of time.
Officially Addicted!
new upgrade from 40cube to 55g.
and helping friend and his mom
with there new 55g.
Dallin Anthony
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 9:46pm
I would recommend something more in the neighborhood of 700 gallons. You can pick up a round stock tank that is 8' across for about $250. I have a project in the works that is similar to this. Feel free to get in touch with me if you have questions!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic