Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screen top help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Screen top help!
    Posted: June 13 2012 at 5:08pm
I need to make a top for my 55 gal tank that is about to finish cycling. I figured on buying a screen frame kit from home depot, but what do I use for the screen part? 

Edited by rize2 - June 13 2012 at 6:34pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 6:19pm
There is an amazing 1/4" clear mesh screen that people have used, but frankly, I never had to. Most fish will stay in the tank if the environment is made to their liking. The exceptions are some wrasses, firefish and some jawfish.
Do a search here for the screen. Someone probably has some left they can sell.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 6:34pm
The reason I want the top is because I have an earmuff wrasse that I have that will be putting in there. Is that clear mesh plastic? And will it be okay that the screen frame kit is aluminum?
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

There is an amazing 1/4" clear mesh screen that people have used, but frankly, I never had to. Most fish will stay in the tank if the environment is made to their liking. The exceptions are some wrasses, firefish and some jawfish.
Do a search here for the screen. Someone probably has some left they can sell.

Jumping is to their liking. It's a natural behavior. It's all a matter of time, especially with wrasses. GET A SCREEN TOP! I got mine from Burt- both times. However, BRS sells some also.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 8:39pm
Thanks! unless someone on here has some they'd sell me, I'll probably order some this weekend.

Edited by rize2 - June 13 2012 at 8:40pm
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 9:01pm
I'm almost positive I have a roll of the 1/4" mesh it is black but doesn't really interfere with the lights as it is so thin.  It does work with the screen kits from home depot.  I used it to make some for when I had jumping fish... unfortunately the fish were so small they fit right through the netting and carpet surfed over several months.  I did end up doubling up the netting and it's probably why it took them months to get out instead of days.  It worked great for the fairy wrasse, but those damn bar gobies are just so skinny...

Anyway let me know if you want some I'd just about give it away.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 10:07am
Wherever you get the netting definitely get enough to double up the netting and overlap the holes so as to make them 1/4 the size they would otherwise be.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 12:40pm
The large mesh Bridal Veil material has holes that are only about 1/8".
Bridal Veil material (Tulle) is dirt cheap at the fabric store. The white colored tulle would work well.
Rather than aluminum, I'd use the plastic screen frame that is sold at hardware stores.
I've just replaced the screen on 3 sliding lanai (porch) doors so this is very familiar to me right now.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 5:38pm
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:59am
I found netting at hobby lobby got enough to do like 3 tanks its pretty clear and has very small holes, was made of nylon and only like 2 bucks. Cool video Brad 

Edited by Akira - June 23 2012 at 1:01am
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 2:50pm
I used the veil material ( tulle pronounced "tool") as well. Go to wallmart or any fabric store and choose something as it comes in various sizes. Works well.
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 5:22pm
I've had mo problems with my aluminum frames.  Had them for 3 years now and they look like I made them yesterday.
Home of the baby Picasso!
golfnut1232 View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golfnut1232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 3:45pm
Any ideas out there on how to make one for a bow type front?  Thanks for any input.  
naminam22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naminam22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 3:36pm

Aceman in this forum has cheap 1/4" net. I got some from him. Great stuff. I bought the hardware stuff at Lowes.

You should contact Aceman. It was a great transaction.
AceMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AceMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 3:40pm
I do have the 1/4" in clear neeting.

As for the bow front, you have to bend the fream so that it fits the bow, and then you can heat up the corner peaces to get the angle you are looking for.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic