Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you take close-ups??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Soehl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soehl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you take close-ups??
    Posted: June 16 2012 at 11:05am
OK.  I love to take pictures.....  When I go camping.  :)  I love to take scenic pics and am pretty good at it but when it comes to taking close-ups I SUCK!  Can someone give me a run down on what I need to do to take good close-ups?  I would love to start taking pics of my tank but everything I try is horrible.  lol  Do you have to have an expensive camera?  I don't have a new camera.  Mine is a Canon PowerShot S3.  It is on the old side.  Should I get a new one?  If so what do you suggest? 
Thanks!
Cory

Cory
180 Gallon Mixed Reef
Radion Pro LED
75 Gallon Elite Sump/Refugium
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 9:13am
do you have a macro setting? also turn your flash off!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Soehl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soehl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 12:29pm
Thanks for the suggestions!!  I try that over and over.  With the flash, without the flash.  It seems like it doesn't focus all the way down as fine as I want it to...
Cory
180 Gallon Mixed Reef
Radion Pro LED
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 12:39pm
A lot of times the focus has to do with the distance too. I sometimes have to back up and then zoom in closer to get a good close-up. Also, instead of a new camera, you could see if they make a good macro lens for your camera.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 2:49am
heres what i found:
In normal macro mode the minimum distance to the subject is 10 - 50 cm, which is about average. Do note that macro mode is limited to focal lengths near the wide end of the lens. Turn on the super macro mode and the minimum distance drops to 0 - 10 cm from the end of the lens. That's right, 0 cm! You can then fit an object 22 x 16 mm in size in the frame. The lens is locked at the wide-angle position in super macro mode.
You should be able to find thr modes using the function button i think. This means you have to get close. If u want to be further away and shoot telemacro, youll have to get the converter.
Use a tripod to stay steady.
Soehl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soehl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 12:11pm
I am now convinced that I need a new camera.  And a LOT of instruction.  lol  I have been looking around and I have kind of narrowed it down.  Does anyone have one of these two?

Nikon D5100
Canon T3i

Thanks!
Cory
180 Gallon Mixed Reef
Radion Pro LED
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 12:22pm
I have a canon rebel eos xs I am getting rid of for 300 if you're interested. 
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 1:11pm
those are nice cameras but you want a lens that will do what you want.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic