Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water Change FaQ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Change FaQ
    Posted: June 18 2012 at 4:48pm
Any one doing around 1% water change daily? If so I want to hear how that's working out for you.
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:37pm
I'd be very surprised to find anyone doing this.
It would be a lot of trouble, even to do it automatically because of the equipment, which would also make it one more thing that could go wrong.Dead

Changing 10% every 1-2 months is really very simple. For the typical reef aquarium, doing more than that is wasted effort, salt and water.
More is not better.

The hobby used to have to change water for two reasons:
1) to reduce pollution. These days we have the knowledge of how to enable good biofiltration where Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are kept low without having to do anything special.
2) to add Alk, Ca, Mg and trace elements. These days we know the inexpensive household ingredients which add Alk, Ca and Mg to keep those extremely important levels within range. The trace elements can be replenished via the 10% monthly water change.

Sorry if this goes beyond what you were asking, but it comes up often enough among newer hobbyists that for anyone reading this, it might be educational.

BTW, if you look here, Hawaii Natural Energy Labs you will see that several companies including Ocean Rider Seahorses, on the other side of the island use natural seawater pumped in to do water changes like what you are investigating. That brings up another problem with a hobbyist DIY 1% water change contraption:
How to keep the salt water fresh?
I once used some month old saltwater to do a water change and killed everything in the tank. It was clean saltwater but had been in a closed container which caused it to go foul. If I had taken time to agitate it for a day, maybe it wouldn't have killed everything, but I chose to stay on the safe side from then on, using only freshly made saltwater. Oh and btw I don't waste my time aerating it or heating it. Just mix it up and pour it in. It aerates enough as it pours in and the slight temperature difference is nothing. You oughta see what temperature inclines and declines fish and coral handle in the ocean. It might surprise you.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 11:12pm
Great info, and it's great to beware of stale water. Everyone can always learn from what someone else did.
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic