Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lost a 6 Line Wrasse?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lost a 6 Line Wrasse?
    Posted: June 24 2012 at 3:56pm
Literally just put a 6 line in after we got it from the LFS today. After I put this fish in I started working on the percula and went back to look for the wrasse and literally can't find it anywhere. Moved around rocks, looked all around the tank and in the back chambers of the biocube. Nowhere to be seen. 

Are they known to jump at all? Not sure how I would have missed it but I'm stumped at this point...
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 4:00pm
Just found this on the net

"The first thing the wrasse will do is to swim down to the bottom and bury itself. After that, you might not see your precious Sixline wrasse for days. It will spend less and less time hiding in the sand as it becomes more and more at home in the tank. It will always sleep buried in the sand and escape down into the sand when spooked."

Hope I didn't squish it! 
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 4:11pm
Mine stays buried for days. I wouldn't worry about it.
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 11:17am
This reminded me of a pic I took many years ago.
It's hard to see, but the shaded area between the sand, the rock and the back glass is the previous night's sleeping "cocoon" built by my Sixline Wrasse.
I can also see from the cleanliness of the sand that this was early in the life of that new tank of I don't know how many years ago.
If a Wrasse doesn't want to bury itself, it may build this single use protective cocoon, which probably hides it's smell from predators, or has a bad taste to nighttime predators.

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 25 2012 at 11:24am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 11:25am
Crazy, my sand is very fine as well so I'm sure he has no problem burying himself very easily. Still have yet to see any sign of him... 
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 12:18pm
Thats so wierd! I didnt know they did that!! Cool:) When i got mine, well, it just swam, and when it sleep, it Lays between rocks and sleeps on the sand - not in it:P
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 7:43pm
Scratch that, it's dead. Sometime yesterday something happened to it so it possibly was smushed? I found it lodged into the back of a rock in the back this afternoon. Sucks!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 7:47pm
Did he get himself stuck there? They are notorious for trying to go in holes that they may not be able to get back out of. Sorry that really sucks.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 7:50pm
He was lodged in there pretty good when I was trying to pull him out so it is very likely. I guess that's the downside of having rock like mine but who knows. 
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by bfisher88 bfisher88 wrote:

He was lodged in there pretty good when I was trying to pull him out so it is very likely. I guess that's the downside of having rock like mine but who knows. 

Was he dead for sure or did he die while trying to remove him? A lot of times it will look dead but it's not and will eventually get its self unstuck
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 8:06pm
Oh no, he was dead. Already starting to rot so I'm assuming it happened yesterday. 
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 10:16pm
EW, sorry, that sucks
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 10:26am
Originally posted by bfisher88 bfisher88 wrote:

When fish are dieing they often go through a series of involuntary convulsions. They have no control so they get swept by the current, often ending up lodged tight between the rocks by their own convulsions.

Yours is a new tank without the massive number of bugs and worms that inhabit an older more established reef aquarium. In mature tanks, dead fish disappear overnight, entirely eaten by the unseen clean up warriors.

It's an unfortunate fact that, on average, about one of every four fish we add to our tanks dies within 2 weeks. This average mortality is much higher for newer hobbyists. In 1993-95, back before this club and it's awesome forum, we knew only a small fraction of what we know today, I'm embarrassed to say, but it's important to reveal that during '93-'95 I lost $2000 worth of livestock. Here is a quick story of just one tiny part of my troubles in those days: Ugly Green haired Mermaid

That said, there is a discussion here that can help you to improve survivability. Look in the WMAS Reefkeeping Tips below for the Tip called "Secrets of adding new fish, fish training and the miracle of Garlic Oil." That thread discusses how to prepare a tank for the different types of fish, Carnivores, Herbivores or Omnivores, and how to reduce the 'fish killing stress' in a new tank environment.

Please feel free to let us know what other fish were in this tank and share with us a pic as well. It could help us help you. Smile

Enjoy
Big smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 26 2012 at 10:28am
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 3:30pm
Added a percula at the same time and that is the only other fish. Percula is fine so far, but the zoas and kenya tree I added are not opening up at all after the first day. Water parameters must be off, but I think the death of this fish was unrelated to the water. I'm guessing it was smushed or got stuck based on what happened. 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 9:20pm
Please post a pic of the tank and tell us more about it, so we can give you accurate advice.
Tank age?
Filtration?
Light
Description or pic showing what's in it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic