Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much carbon?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much carbon?
    Posted: July 07 2012 at 8:51pm
The recent discussion about carbon lead me to wonder how much carbon to actually use. My carbon is from a bulk buy and is just in a bucket w/o directions for usage...   I've read that it is best to use as little as you can with the general guidelines being 3 level tablespoons of carbon per 50 gallons of actual tank water.   

So how much do you use in what size tank and how and where do you "add it"?  (reactor, filter sock, mesh bag, etc... first chamber, last chamber...)  Does anyone have a preference in brand?
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 9:01pm
Here's a link for you man. Use your estimated actual water volume and pick your type of carbon.
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 8:14am
I previously had been using at least 1 pound of carbon in my 150. I was just putting it in my filter sock.
In the last two months i have changed over to Clear FX Pro and love it. I run it in all my tanks. It is especially nice in my cube with only a HOB filter.No need to run multiple products. Carbon GFO ect.
Personally i  think it really depends on your Bio Load. IMO more the Merrier except on your pocket book that is.LOL
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 12:43pm
Hmmm, i put like 1/2 a cup in a mesh bag, in my filter sock... I wonder if that is too much for my 75
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2012 at 7:16pm
Placing the AC in the filter sock is not so good because the churning water may pulverize it. AC dust has been linked to LLE, a disease that once started is difficult to counteract.
The better location is a loose bag draped over or placed next to the return pump intake screen.

The amount definitely depends on the quantity of coral allelopathic toxins and the other animals in a tank. I've found that a cup or two of AC per every 100 gals run for 2 weeks every month does a great job. That much AC gets exhausted/used up within 2 weeks so leaving it in the system longer than that does little, if any, good.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2012 at 9:58pm
In my 55 gallon i have a canister filter,and a hob refuge, simmer, an other equipment, but my refugium obviously does what they so, and my caniter cleans out big floating stuff and it is more of a machanical cleaner rather than a chemical cleaner, but i have a huge empty spot in the back of it, and i acctualy use the plastic scentsy wax containers (which i clean out exteremly well) and fill it with my active carbon and zeolite rock stuff blendBig smile It holds a fair amount which seems enough and in is easy acsess when time to change:)
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2012 at 11:11pm
We're running a FOWLR tank with AC in a reactor. I put in a half cup and change it every couple of weeks or or once a month.  I originally bought the WalMart cheapo stuff, but have changed over to BRS.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 1:06am
Yep, i am running  a FOWLR tank tooBig smile
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 11:37am
Dually noted. Thanks Mark!
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic