Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

aquablue's Nano Cube 12 build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: aquablue's Nano Cube 12 build
    Posted: August 08 2012 at 2:48pm

Update - Tank is back up.

FTS 4-14-13:

The setup:

-Nano Cube 12 sans the hood 

-DIY 36w LED lighting, Rio 400 and modified plumbing

-DIY 6w LED refugium light setup in rear chamber 2

-Excessive amount of liverock

-DIY filter sock setup in rear chamber 3 and carbon in chamber 1

-Koralia & Aqueon powerheads

-Canister filter running as cryptarium.

-DIY ATO

In the beginning:

Edited by aquablue - April 14 2013 at 11:28pm
29G Rimless BioCube | DIY LED
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 3:32pm
Taking it down you say? 
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 3:42pm
Taking this particular tank down, moving all stock to a 29g, I'm not through with the hobby :)
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
saltyjarhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 4:00pm

Tank looks great I would love to see your new set up when you get it up.

Semper Fi
You can live for many causes, but you can only die for one. Pick that one very carfully.

Josh Giles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 4:02pm
There is a lot of people from Tooele on here I always ask to go see there tanks and they always say they are in the process of moving them or something like that.
Semper Fi
You can live for many causes, but you can only die for one. Pick that one very carfully.

Josh Giles
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 4:14pm
Wow that's a lot of livestock in a tank.  No wonder you are moving it to a bigger tank.

BTW I have a couple of friends in Tooele that are about to set up a 110 and a 90 or something like that.  They just took a bunch of stuff off my hands so that I wouldn't end up with a house full of tanks again.  lol.  I'll see if they are interested in the board or chatting with some other Tooele tankers.  One guy is a semi-pro and has had all sorts of really nice stuff before he moved and parted out his stuff to be held.  The other guy is a total noob and doesn't quite know what he is getting into.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 4:22pm
I sound more like your second friend. LOL
Semper Fi

Josh Giles
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 4:39pm
You have lots of nice stuff in there.  Are you finding yourself constantly trimming corals?  My Biocube is getting really full and I've only had it up 2.5 months -- stuff is growing too fast for me!
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 4:44pm
I've fragged things here and there but other than that I like it all growing together lol, it reminds me of my old tank that you were hard pressed to find empty rock real-estate in, as much of a pain that can be to upkeep at times I really enjoy the look of a packed mixed reef.
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 4:53pm
Wowowow, its like an awsome smack of color! nice:)
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 4:54pm

My unconventional nano cube refugium light:

I like top down refugium lights personally, I don't like the idea of scraping paint/vinyl off the back of the tank to mount a horizontal light for a number of functional and aesthetic reason.

This is a 2x3w (6500k & 12000k) setup with 30 degree optics that sits right in the middle chamber, theres coraline growing back there from it. 

12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 8:44pm

Thanks for the compliments everyone, it's been a fun tank. I'll have to mingle more with the other Tooele reefers too I'm thinking.  

More photos:

12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 6:57am
Post up some pics of your new tank when you get everything moved over.
Semper Fi

Josh Giles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 6:58am
Also would be interested in making a refugium light like yours sometime.
Semper Fi

Josh Giles
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 11:21pm

Just thought I'd update this thread since the tank is now back up:  

12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 8:35am
I guess I should ask the obvious, What happened to the 29G upgrade?

Is your fuge light running 24/7 or reverse of tank light?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 4:23pm

I downgraded back to the 12G in anticipation of moving, the 12 is much easier to move and I didn't want to risk a packed 29G worth of stock. I loved the 29G but it would've been too much trouble & risk to move. 

The fuge light is off atm, but when it goes back on it'll be on the same time as the tank lights, mostly because I only have 1 timer handy right now.

12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 9:32am
Looks good! Sorry to hear you had to downgrade. Good luck with the move though!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic