Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving out of state!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving out of state!
    Posted: August 17 2012 at 10:54am
Still waiting to get our acceptance letter but it looks like we may be headed to Oregon for my wife to get her masters!

I'm thinking about taking down the tanks (72 bow front reef, 29g biocube) selling all the livestock and just keeping some of the equipment; phosban reactor, skimmer, UV, etc.

My wife really wants to take the fish with us, or just a select few of her favs; squareback anthias, blue tang, picaso clowns.

Its about a 14 hour drive to oregon and im not 100% sure how we would be able to keep everything alive, I know that commercial fish stores ship fish across the country.

Any thoughts or recommendations, my thoughts at the moment is it will probably be less stressful, both for me and my fish to just find a home for them and i can start over when i get settled into my new place?
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 11:04am
If it were me I wouldn't even hesitate to take the fish with me.  Fish can do okay on a road trip as long as it isn't too much of a temp change and as long as there is enough air for them.  If it were me I'd use a bubble stone to make sure there is enough air and just keep track of how hot or cold they get using a standard thermometer.  I'd also cover the bucket in some way so the fish will sleep the whole way there. 

The only downside would be that you'd have to set up the tank ASAP when you get there.

Also I have an extra battery operated bubbler that I could sell if you were interested.  Or you could use a normal one and a power inverter. 
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 11:08am
I think the big thing would be making sure you had a dedicated resource (or you were that resource) that handles the fish first thing.  You will have to get that tank setup pretty fast. 

Mrsaltwatertank did a cross country move, if you google that it may have additional information.  Also might be nice to have a LFS bag up your fish and coral, fill with oxygen and maybe even box them up.  If they don't have the styrofoam boxes I am sure many other members do (I just threw a bunch away).  Depending on temp you can throw a hot or cold pack into the box as well. 

It's definitely doable, just requires some planning. 

Congrats on masters acceptance!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 11:24am
I'm on the exact opposite side of the question as Eva (sorry Eva)

I would get rid of all the livestock and keep the equipment, dry goods, etc. and just start over after you are settled in at the new location.

My reasoning is that although you absolutely can do a 14 hour move successfully, what usually happens in the real world is you have so much other stuff going on during the actual move that all of the sudden it's 2 - 3 days since you bagged up your livestock - and you still haven't gotten the tank set up yet.

Things are getting cold (or warm) and stressed out; oxygen content is now low, waste is building up inside the bags or boxes...and then things either start to get sick or begin to die outright.

Bottom line is you are not just moving a tank, you are moving YOU and your family and everything that entails. You run a great risk of the tank move not being the highest priority thing - especially if something else in the move goes wrong / gets delayed, etc. and hten requires all your attention.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
jason10012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason10012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 11:41am
I have to agree with BobC63 on this one as well, I might be moving to Washington in a year or two. In my opinion it would be so much easier to move the equipment along with all of your other belongings than having to worry about where to put the tank as soon as you get there. Additionally its a perfect time to do any potential upgrades without the worry of losing any livestock. 

And if you really want to take some of your fish and corals with you I'm sure someone in the club would be more than happy to care for your fish temporarily till you can get settled and your equipment set up and then ship them up to you.
30 gallon nano
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 11:59am
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

I'm on the exact opposite side of the question as Eva (sorry Eva)

I would get rid of all the livestock and keep the equipment, dry goods, etc. and just start over after you are settled in at the new location.

My reasoning is that although you absolutely can do a 14 hour move successfully, what usually happens in the real world is you have so much other stuff going on during the actual move that all of the sudden it's 2 - 3 days since you bagged up your livestock - and you still haven't gotten the tank set up yet.

Things are getting cold (or warm) and stressed out; oxygen content is now low, waste is building up inside the bags or boxes...and then things either start to get sick or begin to die outright.

Bottom line is you are not just moving a tank, you are moving YOU and your family and everything that entails. You run a great risk of the tank move not being the highest priority thing - especially if something else in the move goes wrong / gets delayed, etc. and hten requires all your attention.

+1 couldnt of said it better.
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 12:04pm
Just bringing home a fish from ogden to heber still worries me, since we have to stop for gas, stupid traffic, stop lights/ signs, and acclimating. And thats just getting a new one to my house. 3 hours scares me taking one home with the thought in mind of the tempeerature and amonia and all that other stuff you have to worrie about. So thats like what.. - 14 hours plus all the stopping fior gas, bathroom brake here and there, a little traffic or a lot which depends and alot of other factors.
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 11:39pm
We moved from Ohio to Utah...and moved it all. It would've been 100% successful, but Delta lost our boxes for a few days. Still, most stuff made it. If you look on my site under DIY, you'll find a post about it. Safest thing is to just have some fly your stuff as soon as you get settled in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic