Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yellow tang dying?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fdc_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdc_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellow tang dying?
    Posted: August 18 2012 at 8:02pm
Hi,

so we just purchased a 55 gallon reef tank with corals, live rock and sand, a yellow tang, a maroon clownfish and a purple fish, lots of crabs and a snail.

when we first put the tang in a container with some tank water he and the clownfish were swimming at the top, since putting him in the tank he has just sort of stopped trying, he lays at the bottom of the tank, his tail fin is moving a bit and I see his gills going, he will roll over to the other side randomly....is there anyway to save this fish or is he basically going to die?
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 8:19pm
Its hard to say, i have seen some tangs, basically play dead when they are stressed.. Mine did it when i moved my tank.. And if the tang is going to die and its that far gone, there is usually no way of saving it.. But wait it out and see what happens
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 8:21pm

Some will play dead, even lose their color, when they are really stressed out.  If you can, I'd suggest you turn off the tank lights for the nite and let him have the dark to feel safer in and see how he is in the morning.

fdc_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdc_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 8:24pm
Well he died...was not playing unless he doesnt need to breathe when playing dead. The crabs were moving in for his body....RIP Yellow guy...the stress must have been too much....the clown stayed by his side the entire time then as soon as he died the clown disappeared.Cry
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 8:26pm
oh ..so sorry ... the clown must have been his buddy.
fdc_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdc_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 8:30pm
Thanks, I assume they were good friends....Have not seen the clown since and the purple fish is also in hiding, but all the corals are opening up and looking cool. I will update my intro thread now.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 8:31pm
Hiding would be normal if you just moved the tank today.  Good luck with all your new stuff!
fdc_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdc_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 8:36pm
Thanks Molli!
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 12:04pm
Sorry about that:( Goodluck with everything else though!
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic