Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blue acropora vermiculata???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue acropora vermiculata???
    Posted: August 30 2012 at 11:00pm

So I picked up this awesome acro on trade, and am far from super knowledgable about sps. I was told by the guy I got it from that it's acro vermiculata. However, I am having a hard time finding info on why it would be a vermiculata vs. a different acro. So if you guys and gals could help me positively id this i'd apprecuate it.

Thanks
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 6:49am
Acropora species are a lot of times a "best guess" depending on where they were collected and appearance. Does it look like a different species to you?
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 7:43am
There's nothing that tells ME that it's not vermiculata, but I am not very experienced. I guess I was just hoping that there were some more defining characteristics between acros, but I suppose that I can live with it "possibly" being vermiculata and the fact that I enjoy it. I know that not knkwing the region it was collected in limits me also. Thanks for any feedback or opinions though.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 8:53am
The definitive method: cut off a branch - bleach the tissue - examine the corallites under a microscope - compare to known species images. 
It may also help to have a PhD in coral taxonomy if you're looking to be very accurate. Smile

Other than that - compare what you have to pictures from reputable authors - not necessarily coral farmers - and compare growth structure, color and size. Although each of these parameters can and will change depending on the coral's specific environment, you can get a general feeling of what you have.

Now, identifying fish - there an easy method for that;  ask Adam.

Good luck!

Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 5:00pm
I guess i'll just stick with not knowing for sure and just enjoy it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic