Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Catch a Cleaner Wrasse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catch a Cleaner Wrasse
    Posted: September 10 2012 at 8:22pm
I've got a small cleaner wrasse that I made the mistake of getting. He's nipping at coral big time. What is the best way to catch him? My 270 is WAY too big to net him, and he is way to fast. What sort of ways can I catch/trap him?
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 8:53pm
well you could go all ghetto on him and wait till he goes to bed and then pull the rock out and dunk him a few times in a bucket till he drops into it. That's what I did for my royal gramma once.
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 10:17pm
try a big piece of krill in the bottle trap

Edited by dionysus - September 10 2012 at 10:53pm
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Jacknugget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 10:34pm
I would suggest a trap and it's going to be tricky unless you are able to bait him with food. If he's not taking prepared foods, then you could bait the trap with coral.
125 Mixed Reef
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2012 at 10:56am
Hey just had a thought , I know he is nipping at corals and i do hate to kill any fish but maybe you get him close to a hose that is hooked to a pump and suck him up into it.  Kinda like a shop vac or even a return pump . I've seen your tank and rock work ....with all your corals I think a capture would be nearly impossible. Maybe  with netting over the hose the suction might be strong enough to hold him to it so he doesnt end up like a racing clown did ......and with a return  pump you could just put the water back in your over flow.  Just a wild thought so good luck Troy.
znoob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2012 at 4:17pm
I recently heard of a good way to catch fish aggressive towards their own species.  Put a mirror in the bottom of your trap.  Not sure if cleaners are that type but I know this works with other wrasse.  They can't handle the idea of another wrasse in their hood.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic