Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prestone Driveway Heat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prestone Driveway Heat
    Posted: September 20 2012 at 11:27am
If you are as cheap as I am you're probably dosing with some hardware store special for calcium. I have been looking for Prestone Driveway Heat for about two months.  The Home Depot site said the local stores have it, but I've been to several over this period and no one seems to know where it is.  Finally I just ordered it on line for local pickup and got it within two hours.

Might want to try that if you use the product.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 1:13pm
Whats this for Calcium??? Weird.. Interesting..
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 1:33pm
Yes, it' the calcium addition.

Fat
rsay4654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsay4654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 4:49pm

How much do you add and how often?

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 4:53pm
I use it too, Kevin.

Works great! (IMO)
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 5:05pm

I've been using this for years and never looked back.

Heres more info on DIY Cal, Mag and Alk: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

29G Rimless BioCube | DIY LED
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 5:12pm
It's a process that is based on the link in the post above.  Need to do some base water tests and then add according to that.  I'm doing all three (Alk, Cal, and Mag) each day with about 50 ml of the mix and I test the water every other day.  Once I get it to the acceptable levels I'll cut back until I'm adding enough to keep up with what they use.

Fat

Edited by Fatman - September 20 2012 at 11:55pm
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 7:47pm
I was at WalMart the other day and they had bags of it on a pallet. I didn't see a price but it's starting to make it's way to stores.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 11:03pm
Use it here as well...usually get it at walmart, but sometimes supplies are sparse until the winter months, but I usually stock up then to last me through the summer months.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by bur01014 bur01014 wrote:

Use it here as well...usually get it at walmart, but sometimes supplies are sparse until the winter months, but I usually stock up then to last me through the summer months.

I've had a hard time finding it, so I checked online and the local Home Depot had a couple of hundred in stock. When I'd go and ask for it they said they didn't have any yet and that the inventory was mistaked.  So I ordered it online for instore pickup.  It was ready in 20 minutes. 

Looking this summer all the Home Depots have had it, none of the Lowes.  At least I learned how to make them find it for me!

Fat
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 6:41am

Ive used it before and I love it! cheapest way especially if you wait till spring when it goes on clearance.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic