Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building stand for cube tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building stand for cube tank
    Posted: September 22 2012 at 9:22am
Hi all,
So I'm about to take on a project to upgrade my biocube for a 45 cube tank. All the stands for sale i have seen look cheap and have terrible finished, plus many have a center brace making it difficult to put certain sumps beneath. My brother used to work at a cabinet shop and has lots of woodworking experience and he thinks i should build my own stand. If i need a stand for the cube (24x24) can i build the stand without a center brace? My other thought is to build false sides on the cabinet that can be easily removed to help with maintenance...... Any thoughts or recommends from personal experience?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2012 at 11:11am
Another thought just popped into my head.... Would the weight distribution be screwy if i built a stand longer than the width of the tank.. say 32W x 26D x 28T. Im just looking at sump dimensions and the sump i already have is 29" long.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2012 at 1:03pm
I build all the time without center bracing. Make sure it’s true and square. Good material with great glued joints or you will need another one ;)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 2:43pm
Im still not 100% sure on how to construct it but i found a google image of one i like...

It looks like 4x4 legs and 2x4 upper and lower frame?
Having hard time finding plans i like/understood.
My brother will be helping my build this (he used to work in a cabinet shop) and he asked what type of joining i should use, and something about dowels and/or biscuts in the joints. I need it to support the weight of a 60 cube.
I also wonder how hard it would be to make a false front that can be removed (insead of doors) to make cleaning/maintaining sump easier..
Any thoughts or recommends? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic