Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please ID! What is this?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2012 at 1:10pm
Here is my opinion.

I have never seen a healthy reef tank without Bristle Worms.  They are almost always good.  There are occasions where you get a large bristle worm that can cause problems, but this rarely happens.  Even some of the very large ones are harmless detritus eaters. 

It is possible to get a larger than wanted population of them (unsightly), but they can easily be reduced by placing a piece of shrimp (or other type of fishy food) wrapped in some bridal veil in your tank at night.  Wait a few hours and then remove the shrimp/bridal veil with the attached worms.  I have never had to do this, but I know others that have.  If you do have a huge population this is usually a sign that you are overfeeding your aquarium.

Bottom line is I wouldn't worry about this guy.  It is usually a sign of a healthy aquarium.  They eat detritus and help clean your tank. I wouldn't medicate your tank because of them (EVER), and I wouldn't worry about getting a wrasse or other type of critter to eat them.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2012 at 3:03pm
Jake pretty much summed up everything I would have contributed here, except that I have had to help remove some from a tank my Mom had.  The technique Jake described works like a charm, but don't expect to get EVERY bristle worm.  You wouldn't want to anyway.  After we removed a bunch from her tank she stopped feeding so much and the population didn't come back.  Her's was definitely a case of overfeeding growing their population.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic