Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quick question, need answer tonight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick question, need answer tonight
    Posted: March 27 2005 at 7:15pm
Hey guys.

I drilled a hole in my tank tonight, and now I'm in the process of building my overflow, but I wanted to ask what do you guys use to glue the acrylic together? and what to use use to glue it to the glass on your tank?

I drilled a hole that was 1.75" with my dremel tool.  Took forever but worked great.
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 7:22pm
Weld-on Acrylic Solvent #3 is what most use for acr to acr.  For acr to glass I just use silicone.

Fax
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by fj40fax fj40fax wrote:

Weld-on Acrylic Solvent #3 is what most use for acr to acr.  For acr to glass I just use silicone.

Fax

DO you happen to know where I can pick this stuff up?

Thanks for the reply
Simple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 8:22pm

Hello everyone,

Originally posted by bambbrose bambbrose wrote:

what do you guys use to glue the acrylic together?

Weld-on is the stuff. When you pick up the solvent, try to find one of these too.

and what to use use to glue it to the glass on your tank?

Silicone will bond it to the glass, just make sure you clean it REALLY well first.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Ascultã tot, dar nu crede tot.

Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.
Simple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 8:26pm

Hello everyone,

DO you happen to know where I can pick this stuff up?

This is where I get all my acrylic supplies.

Hope that helps,

Chris

bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 8:28pm
Can I buy this stuff at lowes or home depot?
FISHMAN Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FISHMAN Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 8:41pm

I drilled a hole that was 1.75" with my dremel tool.  Took forever but worked great

What type of bit did you use, i would love to do the same with my dremel

Dan

125 reef, grower of hard to find macro algea,(feather giant feather, branching coraline ect...
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 9:50pm
I used a diamond coated dremel bit from Lowes,  It's like $8.50 for this tiny thing.  A ripoff, but it worked great.  My circle isn't completely circle but it works.

I need to find a bulkhead that fits 1.75" holes now.

I also need to find a place to get that acrylic cement and some silicone so I can make my overflow tomorrow.  How long does the silicone have to cure?
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 10:27pm
you may want to drill a second hole for the return. 
Simple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 10:32pm

Hello everyone,

Can I buy this stuff at lowes or home depot?

Not sure, I've never noticed or looked for it there. You could check their web page or even give them a call.

How long does the silicone have to cure?

I don't have a tube in front of me at the moment, but as I recall it was 24-48hrs.

FWIW, I think the acrylic solvent takes much longer. It will bond quickly and seem solid at first. However from what I understand it slowly cures and constricts for weeks. As you may or may not know, acrylic absorbs water. This absorbtion coupled with the curing/constriction along the seam can result in failure.

Hope that helps,

Chris

bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Simple Simple wrote:

FWIW, I think the acrylic solvent takes much longer. It will bond quickly and seem solid at first. However from what I understand it slowly cures and constricts for weeks. As you may or may not know, acrylic absorbs water. This absorbtion coupled with the curing/constriction along the seam can result in failure.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Hmmm I don't have a couple weeks to wait to make my overflow.  What other methods are there for bonding acrylic?  I have a sheet of it sitting here in front of me, I just need to cut it to shape, bond it, and then silicone it to my tank.

bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 1:09am
here is what my tank looks like right now.  I wasn't planning on drilling a second hole for a return, but instead just having it loop over the top of the edge.  Is there any problem with doing it that way?

here is a closeup of the hole.  It took too long to drill, thats why I don't want to make another one, and because I've seen them looped over the edge with clear tubing and it looked fine.

This is the prototype design I made for the overfill box on my computer to find out measurements before I started doing any work.  i gotta find a way to bond the acrylic still however

Is there anything wrong with that design or anything you would do differently?

Thanks for your help  guys.  I'm supposed to be getting my LR soon so I need to get this done asap

Edited by bambbrose
Simple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 5:38am

Hello everyone,

What other methods are there for bonding acrylic?

It's not exactly bonding,. but you can get heat strips that allow you to bend the acrylic easily. With a few clever cuts and some bending you could create the box. From there you could easily seal the small gaps with silicone if you wanted.

Is there any problem with doing it that way?

I can't think of any actual problems associated with looping over the top. Seems like return holes are drilled just to create a cleaner look.

Is there anything wrong with that design or anything you would do differently?

That's the general idea. Personally I would notch the sides of the overflow. Are you planning room for a Stockman/Durso/similiar drain?

Hope that helps,

Chris

Edited by Simple

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 8:58am

Here's a thread where I describe what I did for my tank (look for my post with pictures):  http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1335

Rather then silicone the overflow box to the glass, I just built an acrylic box with a gasket between the box/glass and another between the bulkhead nut/glass.  Also notice that half of the durso is actually behind the tank.  This made it so my overflow box could be smaller.

bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Here's a thread where I describe what I did for my tank (look for my post with pictures):  http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1335

Rather then silicone the overflow box to the glass, I just built an acrylic box with a gasket between the box/glass and another between the bulkhead nut/glass.  Also notice that half of the durso is actually behind the tank.  This made it so my overflow box could be smaller.

Thanks for the link.  That helped out a lot.

I found an acrylic box that is the perfect size so I just have to drill a hole in it now and use the same method you used.

I'm ordering my return pump today and I need some recommendations.  I have 30g cube with 10g sump.   I was recommended the mag 7 but I wonder if that is too much.  I only need like 300gph I thought to provide adequate flow, but there is probably something that I'm missing.

Would the Mag5 be a good choice?
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 1:54pm
Would the Mag5 be a good choice?

That would be my choice ... If you decide you want a mag7 later ... I dont think it  would be hard to sell the mag5.
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 7:14pm

I would build a manifold for the top and probably go for the mag 7.  I have a rio 2500 on my 20 gallon (with a 4' head) and am now thinking of going to a mag9.5.

Fax

Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by fj40fax fj40fax wrote:

I would build a manifold for the top and probably go for the mag 7.  I have a rio 2500 on my 20 gallon (with a 4' head) and am now thinking of going to a mag9.5.

Fax

Just curious, what do you mean by "a manifold"  could you show me some examples?

Thanks
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 8:29pm
It is just a loop of pipe that would go on top of the tank so that you can return water from the sump from a few different directions.  That way you don't get all of the return water coming through one big opening and creating ares with too much flow and others with not enough flow.  Do a search for manifold (which I will do too and see if I can find a thread or two with good pics) I am sure you will find some good ones.  You can see Richard L's manifold on his discussion of his tank swapping disaster thread.

Fax
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 9:04pm
Found it!

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2003/short.htm

Fax
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic