Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

algea scrubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: algea scrubber
    Posted: October 23 2012 at 12:37pm
Just curious if anybody runs an algae scrubber on there reef tank?
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 1:46pm
No need with a fuge with macro. IMO
40 gal w/ 20 sump
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 2:55pm
I was thinking of running one of these. Have you looked at algaescrubber.net ? A lot of good information on there about them. 
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 3:47pm
Never even considered it. Complete waste of time and effort in my opinion.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 4:08pm
I looked at it a lot and decided against it. There seems to be one pundit on several of the forums claiming it's the best thing since the shirt pocket and there seems to be a bit of controversy surrounding him. My feeling is that there are a lot of people out there who know way more about it than I do and have a ton of money invested in keeping their tanks pristine.  I'm not seeing them jump on this bandwagon and it's been around for a while.  If this is as great as the claims I'm confident that the people with the pristine tanks would be using it.  So, for now, I'm not doing it.  It would be a great research project for someone and I'd bet it would be a terrific science fair project.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 4:13pm
I added the capability on my hospital tank in case I ever felt the need (since it's a rather high-nutrient system), but I haven't felt the need yet.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 5:01pm
If you run a fuge and a large skimmer it's completely pointless. Heck even if you just run the fuge or just the skimmer imo.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic