Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sand Bed cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
fdc_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdc_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2012 at 4:17pm
Very good info, thank you guys! I would like to get a couple Conches to start...how much am I looking at usually?
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

Originally posted by fdc_guy fdc_guy wrote:

Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

I think you would be OK to vaccum the sandbed. But, like Shaun said, don't do the entire tank all at the same time; half the sandbed at every water change.

Dave, remind me again - how big is your tank, and how many lbs of live rock do you have?

I have a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump, not sure how much live rock we have but its pretty packed. I would estimate over 60 lbs probably. We stirred up the sand a little in one spot and there was this gas cloud coming out of it...pretty gross. Would love to get a goby or anything else that could help clean it up for us.

Be very careful as you begin to clean your sand bed up. An old bed can be full of toxic gas, which is not necessarily bad until it is disturbed. Start with very small sections of the bed. Spread this out over weeks, if not months. Otherwise, you could nuke your tank.
If there is a lot of gas, I would recommend siphoning small sections before disturbing the sand bed.  
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2012 at 5:17pm
I bought mine from Chad- $5 or $6 ea.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2012 at 3:32am
I agree with Nikki , I had awful sand on my first tank. Never try to clean it at 1 time. Small patches kinda deep a few with every water change. Also if you keep you siphon a lil above the sand you can pull alot off the top just dont stirr it up. I used a sea hare to help  but because I was inexperienced  and didnt do my homework it died from starvation . So some things are meant to be used and passed on to others in need . Just my 02.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic