Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Message Board

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Turbo Snail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo Snail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Message Board
    Posted: March 31 2005 at 2:13pm

I'm new to the site and I really enjoy the message boards.  However, (being a web developer of my own) I do notice some bugs and lag with your message board.

1) When viewing the message board for the first time I notice that the icons next to each message will be a different (usually darker) color so that you can see which articles you have viewed and which ones you have not.  However, after viewing like 2 articles the site just assumes I have read all articles and the icons all go lighter.....kinda annoying when you are trying to make sure you read all messages

2) The message board is very choppy.  All other links on your site are quick and scroll smoothly.  However, the message board gives me a headache trying to catch up with all the abrupt choppiness.

Just my $0.02.

TurboSnail

coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 2:18pm
after viewing like 2 articles the site just assumes I have read all articles and the icons all go lighter.

I agree .. It does make it a bit of a PIA to follow threads. This also happens if you read your PMs before you look at the new messages.

The message board is very choppy.

I have not had this problem.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 2:55pm

About rule #1: You don't have to read all the threads! It will make you nuts!

Jake has set up this communication tool for us. He pays for it, and does a lot of work to put in our requests. It does have a glich here and there, but for what we pay, we are getting way more than our moneys worth!

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 3:00pm
I think Jake is working on problem 1 (marking everything read before actually read).  Not sure about your second concern, but it seems that lately the bandwidth has been so great on the board that it's slowed down access (at least for me it has).
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 3:33pm

Turbo-
Search this site for "active topics" and you'll see that Jake is working on problem number one.  I still say the easiest thing to do is to just open up all the topics in new windows then close them each as you read them.  That is what I've always done.

As for the site speed.  Yes Jon you are correct, the site has been slowing down recently.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
derikhills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derikhills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 4:22pm

Turbosnail , since you are a web developer how about donating some time to make things run more smoothly

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 4:50pm

The message board is currently running off of an Access database.  The database has become very large and therefore has started to make the web site run slower.

The fix for this is converting over to SQL database, which I have plans to do in the next couple of weeks.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 4:56pm

Thanks, Jake!

fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 5:04pm
I bet SQL helps a lot.  Access sucks.

Fax
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 5:51pm

Originally posted by fj40fax fj40fax wrote:

I bet SQL helps a lot.  Access sucks.

Fax

SQL should be much faster.

The only thing nice about Access is it was very portable.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Turbo Snail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo Snail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 9:31pm

That makes sense.  Didn't know you were running Access.  I'm sure a SQL database things will be much faster.  I don't want anyone to misinterpret what I'm trying to say here.  I think the site is great and I'm thankful for all of your hard work.  You deserve much kudos!!  I'm sure your "To Do" list is a continual growing list which will never be accomplished......much like mine.  Just food for thought when an opportunity arrises for an upgrade.  Thanks for all that you do.

TurboSnail

smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 11:21pm
Hmmm - makes me wonder what the back end looks like?  How normalized is it?  I can see how access getting large could slow things down.  Is oracle too pricey?
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 11:37pm
Whoa... access eh?

Jake are you familiar with Mambo? It's free, and extremely powerful.

I recommend taking a look at it...

For an example of a site that uses it. My buddy useses it: eliterides.com

Let me know if you have any questions about it, and I'll get you in contact
with m y buddy.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 10:53am

It is extremely common to use access for the backend for lower traffic web sites.

I will be moving the database to a MS-SQL as soon as I get time.

Xacttech,

I am familiar with Mambo, and have used it in the past.  It is very clean, and powerful, but it would take a lot of work to switch it out.  Switching the message board to SQL will be fairly quick.  Moving the entire site would take some time, but is something I would consider doing in the future.

Edited by Jake Pehrson
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 11:30am

Jake-
I do have another item for you.  I can't find some old posts.  I'm not sure if it is a search problem or if they are just gone from the forums because of the server move.  For instance I was going to bump my April Fool's post from last year, but can't find it anywhere.  There was an anemonefish post that I was looking for a couple weeks ago and that too was gone.  I've had this happen a couple times. 

Adam

jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 11:20pm
Hey, do you need any help with this stuff? I'm a professional programmer and have done quite a bit of stuff with SQL and web pages; I'm not sure how much time I could donate, or if you could even use any help, but just let me know.
jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2005 at 1:49am
Where is Jake? Looks like he hasn't been on for about a week; I pm'd him about getting my status changed to member but he hasn't been on since I sent the message.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2005 at 8:07am

He is at a Jedi training camp for 3 more days.  I'll switch over your account right now.

Adam

jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2005 at 10:27am
Sweet, thanks Adam!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic