Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wood in the aquarium?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wood in the aquarium?
    Posted: November 06 2012 at 5:13pm
Im about to move my tank and i want to rescape my rock work. I was reading about people drilling holes in the rock and using acrylic or plastic rod stock to make a strong structure. I couldnt find any rod stock at the local hardware stores and was wondering what the effects of using wooden dowels would have?  
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 5:45pm
I imagine the wood would deteriorate over time... thus causing a rock slide!
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 6:01pm
Wood can lower a tanks PH or at least work against what you are trying to maintain. I agree with what David posted. Don't think I would recommend wood in saltwater.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 6:34pm
Tannin occurs naturally in wood, and over time it'll leach out and possibly cause yellowing of your water. Carbon should remove it, but at that point...is it worth it?

If you can't find acrylic rod, Home Depot/Lowes usually has plastic rods for holding For Sale signs, etc....or those driveway markers. I've known people to use those with no problems in the past.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 6:40pm
Check your local crafts store, such as hobby lobby, roberts etc for the acrylic rods....
rbtron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbtron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 6:43pm
Regional Supply (3571S 300W) sell acrylic rods.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 7:38pm
what about a plastic coat hanger?
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 7:48pm
I guess, but why? I really wouldn't trust them holding up my rock structure. I used acrylic rods on our first set up. That worked exceptionally well. When we upgraded to our 265, I had a completly different direction in mind and rods were not an option. We ended up using a putty unlike any other. Having said that, I would suggest Epo A+B putty.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 10:18pm
I have used the epo putty and it worked great for me . This time I used a mortar mix from BRS. I still have some I would part with.
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 11:00pm
Like mentioned by Rbtron, Regional Supply and Delvies carry acrylic rod. Depending on where you are located, Professional Plastics in Ogden carries it as well. Hope that helps
Premium aquarium filtration!
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 11:14pm
I ordered mine online from delvies. I think the shipping cost was about $7. Well worth not having to drive out there and waste the time or the fuel
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 4:37am
Home Depot and lowes both have the rods used for warning flags/signs that work great.
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 7:02am
I will have to order some rods or see about the rods at the home depot. I dont want to epoxy the rocks together as i work for the military and i have to break down the tank when i move every few years.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic