Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY Canopy - Finally done!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY Canopy - Finally done!
    Posted: June 08 2003 at 7:36pm

Finally got it finished, with the doors attached.  Here's the final product!

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 8:01am
Strong work!
mdawson8931 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 11:54am
WOW! Very nice.
Mike
Layton, Ut.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 12:37pm

If you weren't waiting for another shipment of LR I would say that it was time to add a ton of coral! It is ready. By the look of it, you won't have to wait more than a week after the new LR to start adding coral. It's neat to see the image, especially since I was able to see it in person the day that first LR arrived. I hope you will continue posting images along the way.

A Tang (or 2) could be a good addition right now though, otherwise that green algae and other tasty material with the algae may get away from you and be much more difficult to control later. The Tang will handle the new LR conditions okay. If it were me at this point I would add small Tangs no larger than 3 inches nose to tail.  With small Tangs there will be less problem with other fish added later. Check the post I sent in response to Ryans topic "Clown Tang" regarding good types of fish.

On the other hand, the drawback to adding Tangs is that they will eat the other macroalgae just starting to grow on the rock, which could look pretty nice later. The herbivorous microverts in the tank may take care of the algae on their own as they multiply in response to the abundant food.  Your choice depends on how much diversity of macroalgae you want later on.

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 10:01pm

Thanks for the comments.  I've really worked hard getting it all this far.

Yeah, I should be getting the next batch of LR in later this week.  I'm really chomping at the bit to get some critters and fish in there, but patience is winning.  I'll have enough in there soon enough. 

I have about 5 different type of macro algae growing in there right now.  I want to let it get a bit longer, so I can cultivate some to the refugium.  I have what I believe is Caulerpa Prolifera, a Bryopsis, Halimeda (I think), Caulerpa Taxofilia and a red kind of macro.  I would really like to have them all growing in my 30 gal refugium.

I'll have fish in there by the first of July.  The tank is going to be mainly rare SPS with a fairly heavy fish load.  I have a friend that I'm getting several types of rare SPS from (not local), for almost free.

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 10:02pm

Hopefully, I'll have it looking fairly nice by Sept, good enough to have some people over to look at it on the tour.  By next year for sure!

I'm also planning a rare Zoanthid collection.  We'll see how that turns out.

maximus89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2003 at 10:28pm

That looks nice sspargur Ill bet you are proud of yourself go ahead you can pat yourself on the back! I may be off the subject but is that Great salt lake sand I see in there if it is it looks really nice I would probably have to get some if it is! Keep up the good work mr. give us some more pics when you get the LR in there

Quote:"A man has got to know his limitations"
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2003 at 10:54am
 Looks great!!  I give you premission to help me finish mine. 
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2003 at 6:18pm

Sure Bruce, I'll put it on my list of things to do.  I hope you don't mind waiting a year or two.

Max - that is GSL sand in the bottom.  It's very fine depending on where you collect it from.  I've heard others say that you can find different grain sizes in different places.  I haven't personally seen the other collection sites, so that's just heresay.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic