Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chaeto good to eat?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
towny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chaeto good to eat?
    Posted: November 07 2012 at 10:52pm
Do tangs and angels like to eat chaeto?  Would it be a bad idea for any reason to put some on a veggie clip in my display tank?
90 gal FOWLR (kind of) -   still experimenting with certain corals and inverts!
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 8:19am
My tangs dont generally like to chaeto. They do like to eat any type of calurpa i put in there, but to keep it cheap i like to buy nori from the asian section of the supermarket its a few bucks for a big bag (its meant to be seaweed wrap for sushi/sushimi but hey the tangs dont care)
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 8:46am
I bought nori from Walmart for $2 and it has 20 sheets
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
towny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 9:50am
Thank you both.  No harm if they should take a liking to the chaeto, though, right?
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 10:26am
shouldn't be any harm.  It is a green plant.  Don't see what the harm would be.  I think the cheato is more useful in the sump to grow little pod critters for my fish who eat pods.  The asian markets, I go to the one off of 90th south and near state street, is the cheapest place to get the nori, and seaweed and frozen fish parts for making fish/coral food.  I am just starting to learn the making food part, but the nori I put in a clip with like a plastic mesh wire on it to keep it in place and my foxface and my tangs all eat it.  Even my triggers hit at it sometime for a bite.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 5:56pm
i have a tang and a rabbitfish and they ate a small basketball size clump of it in about a week.. I had wondered where it went! Then i made the connection.. haha
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 7:42pm
Yeah I dont think it is the most nutritious algae but shouldn't cause any harm.
towny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 2:21pm
Update:  The small bundle of chaeto I put in my veggie clip dissappeared in a day.  So it was either the hippo tang or the emperor angel.  Will try more this evening and see if I can catch one of them in the act!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic