Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

monti cap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
markiepora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markiepora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: monti cap
    Posted: November 09 2012 at 9:58pm
Can anyone give me advice, on where to place
A couple of small monti caps, in a 20 gallon column
Tank, that will give me good growth, and what
I should look for in a healthy monti... Thanks everyone
MarkiePora:0
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 10:27pm
Medium to high light and good flow. You'll want to make sure dentrius (or any type of salt build up/crystals that get knocked back into the tank from salt creep) does not collect in the cap. Other than that, sit back and enjoy.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markiepora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 10:35pm
Very cool thanks so much for the advice, should
I place them up top on the reef?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 11:46pm
Your Monti's should be able to handle high placement and high light. However, what type of lights are you running?
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 11:47pm
I prefer to place them mid level so I can grow corals above them. Plating Monti's create a lot of shade below them as they grow out.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 7:09am
Great point Shaun. I was actually thinking about that last night. But then again, shade is not much of a concern with our 1500W's of lighting. However, I'm sure (markiepora's) lighting is on a much smaller scale. I would try and find somewhere that would not impead future real estate space (or light) for other corals but still allow space for your cap to grow in a somewhat natural plate form. And that might prove difficult in a 20 tall.

rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 1:11pm
Do you have any pics of your how you have your rock work?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 1:58pm
Markiepora -

How long has your tank been up?

What is your nO3 (nitrate) reading? Do you use a skimmer?

I have found that under the right circumstances, plating corals like Monti caps can be some of the easiest SPS to keep. However, my experience is that they do not like high nitrates (over 20 ppm) or high nutrient water. Under those conditions the growth tends to be stunted and they sometimes brown out.

Right now I have some Dark Red, some Leng Si (green w/ blue rim) and some Chocolate Monti Cap in my 93 Cube. They are about 14" from my 250w MH light and they are in an area that recieves good flow, but indirectly (a powerhead is not aimed directly right at them). I also use a turkey baster to gently blow off any detritus that accumulates on top of them about once a week.

Also, since they are so thin and fragile, take care not to place an loose frags or pieces of rock above them, as one tumble and the monti cap will get shattered into a dozen pieces.
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markiepora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 5:40pm
Well thanks for all of the responses, being
A 20 gallon column tank, lighting has been
A bit of an issue, trying to find lighting that is
Only 13 inches long, I'm more than likely going
To be running skye led's here in the near future.
I am currently running 1 10k coral life daylight ,and 1
50/50 65 k atintic, and atintic 5 led stunner strip, which
Has been fine for sorties and lps, not sure enoungh
For Sps however. I have lots of rock so I could get them
Up top, not sure if monti caps would be a good addition or not,
My nitrates are around 10ppm, and all other params are
Normal, I will add pics later this evening and you can
Tell me if there is even enough room in this nano for
Monti caps... Thanks again all

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markiepora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 7:01pm
here is my tank, i know i would have to move some stuff for monti caps, be gentle still a noob ha ha!
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 8:59pm
I dont know much about sky LED's but i got a cheap ebay fixture for $175. It works great on my 34 gal. I have a leng si monte that has been growing really fast under these lights. When i tried a monti cap with the power compact lights I had before, I never had success.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markiepora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 9:08pm
So you think I should ditch the power compact lights, and go with stronger LED's
What brand lights u running? just hard to find led's for my tank it seems.
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 10:05am
One of the best things that i've done was upgrade to LEDs. I'm pretty sure these are the ones that I got:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUARIUM-LED-LIGHT-55x3W-BRIDGELUX-Coral-Reef-Dimmable-120W-/290760221552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b2a8e370

But there are lots of other ones that have the same case but just dont have the bridgelux LEDs. The total length of the box is a little bigger than your tank, but where the lights actually are would be around 13 inches or less

Edited by rize2 - November 11 2012 at 10:07am
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 10:08am
And the tank looks good by the way
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 10:11am
That is AJM Aquatics.  I bought 5 of those exact units for my tank.  I am running 2 of them on my 90 right now.  Mine have the multi colors and us bulbs, dimmable with separate switches and dimmers between the blue and the white/colored.

If you call Andrew, the owner, and talk with him he can make them exactly what you want, and if you bargain with him and buy multiple units, he can cut the price.  I absolutely love his lights.  It is the same case, same almost everything that local stores who "make them" are charging 2x the price.  And don't let anyone blow the smoke up your hiney that the drivers that everyone else uses are cheap and won't last.  Even IF the driver goes out, the driver units are cheap to replace.

Andrew can and does build the CREE lights for those who subscribe to those being better.  I posted a link to his website, 

AJM Reef LED

drop him an email and he responds pretty quick. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markiepora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 7:04pm
Thanks for your replys folks, lots of great advice
I will contact Andrew on building me some lights
That will fit my tank by email, I will tell him u guys
Sent me and I will keep u posted thanks again friends!
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 1:55am
if you want, you can place the monti on the glass... Or those two pillar looking sections on each side of the tank. You may also try a bonzai approach and carefully trim it into the space you want it but that's very difficult without breaking too much... One way is to rotate it or angle it so it grows with the light and flow..

Edited by phys - November 13 2012 at 1:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic