Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

herbie drain question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: herbie drain question
    Posted: November 12 2012 at 1:39pm
Im about to move my tank and i want to upgrade my durso into a herbie. I have a 72g bowfront that has the common overflow wall with 2 holes. Ive seen a few images and explanations on google but just want to see what size pvc pipe to use for the drain lines. I was thinking 1" for the main and emergency drain and .75" for the return??
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 5:13pm
i plan on doing just that; 1" drain & emergency, 3/4" return.
105 rimless
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 6:42pm
I have a 210 with two overflows, but I use 1'' in all four bulkheads. I have only had it going for a couple of months now, but already had one snail get sucked down in one pipe, and caught on the gate valve. I noticed my emergency drain dumping water, and opened the valve up and got the little guy out. I would rather have the bigger pipe with less probability of snails getting stuck and clogging it. 
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
Sgt_York View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt_York Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 1:02pm
I have a standard AGA dual overflow 120G use one 3/4 as my main siphon, 1" durso stand in same overflow down to my fug.  The other overflow 1" is a closed loop, with the 3/4" as emergency.  Had to trim the overflow wall so priority flow went to the CL and the system works great.  I added a 1.5" strainer to keep the snails out of the siphon.  the returns are behind the tank.
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 2:37pm
3/4" as the main drain is plenty big unless your planning on an absolultely huge pump like 1300 gph. I have a 819 gph pump on my 65 and have the 3/4 gate valve closed about half due to the amount of water a full syphon will pull thru a 3/4" pipe. I have the 1" as emergency as you want it bigger in case it ever needs to be used. and you will be fine with the 1" as the return, less restriction, more flow, and more you can have the 3/4" gate valve opened up. The drain can only drain as much as the pump can push. I tested my emergency by plugging the main drian with my finger and the 1" emergency easily handled it the water and If you get the 3/4" clogged with a snail as mentioned you will know instantly as you will hear the emergency in use from the toliet flushing sound. A simple strainer on the 3/4" drain will prevent any snails anyway. Thats how I have mine set up and works like a charm, one complaint I have on the herbie is you have to maintain a pretty constant level of water in the sump or it goes out of adjustment (that is, I run mine with a trickle down the emergency for added surface skimming) and if the level of water fluctuates in the chamber the pump is in that trickle will need adjusting by closing or openig the gate on the drain. If you have an ATO that is not an issue as water level and thus all pressures are relatively constant on the pump.

Edited by Bryce - November 21 2012 at 2:44pm
65g Reef
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 2:40pm
Smile

Edited by Bryce - November 21 2012 at 2:40pm
65g Reef
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 2:41pm
I would do 1" for the drains and 3/4 for return
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 2:51pm
Here is an awesome chart showing what the different pipe sizes can handle. http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

3/4" will work, or yea you can go 1" with the gate closed considerably.

3/4" .75-.85" 1.06" 11 gpm 660 gph 23 gpm 1,410 gph 36 gpm 2,160 gph
1" 1.00-1.03" 1.33" 16 gpm 960 gph 37 gpm 2,220 gph 58 gpm 3,510 gph
65g Reef
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 2:53pm
Better to have to much then just enough standard aquariums come with 1"
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 4:01pm
Those numbers are more for a durso style setup. You can run way more through a 1" pipe flowing full siphon like the Herbie. How far the drop to the sump plays a part as well.

Edited by Elite-Aquatics - November 21 2012 at 4:04pm
Premium aquarium filtration!
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 4:12pm
which is why I said 3/4" is plenty big on the main drain but I am not an expert by any means, and can only speak to my 1 tank, haha... if I have my gate 1/2 closed with say 550gph pumping into the display after 5ft head loss on my 819gph return in theory I could run up to 1100gph through 3/4" and since its a 72 gallon tank its more than enough. Both will work flawlessly, so it depends on your pump size, and how much you want your gate closed on the main drain, what the fittings on your pump are, if you want to reduce a 1" fitting on a pump down to 3/4" etc. I ran a 3/4" on both my main drain and return as it fit my pump, and 3/4" was easier to hide behind the tank when I ran it up and over the back. 
65g Reef
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Bryce Bryce wrote:

Here is an awesome chart showing what the different pipe sizes can handle. http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

3/4" will work, or yea you can go 1" with the gate closed considerably.

3/4" .75-.85" 1.06" 11 gpm 660 gph 23 gpm 1,410 gph 36 gpm 2,160 gph
1" 1.00-1.03" 1.33" 16 gpm 960 gph 37 gpm 2,220 gph 58 gpm 3,510 gph

I agree that 3/4 will work.  The charts are based in pressurized water systems at various flows and velocities.  As the flow (the amount of water you are trying to push along) goes up in a given pipe diameter so does the velocity, the faster it goes the more friction is generated and then pressure loss. For the low pressure systems we use the graphs don't really apply.  3/4 inch will work, but 1" provides a great buffer if you ever need it.
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 5:03pm
The first set of columns would be the minimum you would expect for the pipe size shown using nothing but gravity in a low head pressure situation to power the flow. So 660gph for 3/4" and 960gph for 1" so yea based on that chart if you plan on using a pump that pushes anything more that 660 AFTER head loss for sure go 1" - again without looking at any chart, doing any calulations of pressure, I have 550gph AFTER head loss and I have my gate on a 3/4" closed half way so obviously it can handle much more flow, but not sure your sump will, haha

Edited by Bryce - November 21 2012 at 5:27pm
65g Reef
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2012 at 8:18am
I have done a few herbies and 1" both main and emergency is the ticket. you can use a gate valve, and I stress the GATE valve, not home depot ball valve,  and throttle back the syphon to match ANY pump you use either way it will be at full syphon. Its better to have the emergency match the main drain. Snails are drawn to these for some reason so i put strainers on mine as well. Going maybe a little bigger is better.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Sgt_York View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt_York Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 12:40pm
IMO better to skimp on the syphon line so you have a bigger emergency drain.  3/4" will work great for a 75G tank maintaining the additional capacity in a 1" Durso, if you use the 1" as the syphon the 3/4 will have a much harder time in case of emergency. 

I'm glad I went with the snail covered 3/4" syphon and durso 1".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic