Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vodka dozing , any input I have brown algie,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
twolow4law1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twolow4law1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vodka dozing , any input I have brown algie,
    Posted: November 12 2012 at 1:46pm
I have a fariley new set up it has been running for a couple months now and have had fish in for about 3 weeks now, I know they say keep the nitrates down and it will starve it's self, but also read about the vodka dosing,   Whatcha think, it is a 90 gal tank
60 gal rimless , 40 gal rimless
120 gal reef
HOOKED ON SALT WATER   801-682-0477
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 1:57pm
I'd read plenty before vinegar dosing, specifically with such a new tank. I'd recommend this for reading;

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/116-vinegar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twolow4law1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 3:11pm
So vinegar instead of vodka

Edited by twolow4law1 - November 12 2012 at 3:14pm
120 gal reef
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 3:16pm
Really up to you - Vodka of course more potent. I've dosed vinegar successfully for a couple of years now.
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 3:46pm

I've heard you need to run a good amount of carbon and need a good skimmer.

Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 3:56pm
Ronnie, what are your nitrate and phosphate levels right now?  That will go a long way in determining if you should carbon dose.  I assume you had your nitrate spike, then things settled down and have now gone up again?

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 3:58pm
You need to make sure you are also introducing some type of bacteria. I just use Microbe-Lift Special Blend.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 6:39pm
Brown algae is usually diatoms, all part of the cycle. What about your lighting? How old are the bulbs? And what brand of fixture.

With how young your tank is, I would just keep a good clean up crew and pay attention to your nitrates and phosphates, also how much you feed.

Carbon dosing is a very powerful thing, and not to be used unless you know exactly what your doing. Research research research!
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 10:25pm
The above advice is good. You may not need to dose. Have you finished your new tank cycle? (Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate). How long after that ended did you see the algae?  What are your nitrate and phosphate levels?  All this will help determine if you should dose.

It is not that complicated, you should know what you're doing and why, follow the directions carefully and test, test, test.  Once things get back into normal ranges you need to readjust the amount you are dosing.  Also know that dosing can crash your tank -- not a lovely thing to wake up to in the morning before work. In reading some of the reports on dosing it's relatively safe if you're careful, start slow (low dose) and build up slowly (add to the dose at the end of a week) and monitor you're chemistry. Once the nitrates and phosphates lower you need to back off to a maintenance dose.

Watch for bacterial blooms, mine occurred in my skimmer of all places.

Fat
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 6:28am
I dosed vodka when i had a cyano outbreak. I did it successfully. And i didnt have a good skimmer. The key is to do it in super small quantities. And watch your Ph. Level it will cause it to swing. So if you do dose you will need to get off it eventually, but dont just stop. Make the amount smaller and smaller each time you dose. 

Also if it is cyano, and you do get some on your hands skin etc. . . Wash it off for a few minutes. You may think thats weird. But it is a toxin and can cause irritation especially if on an open cut or in your eyes. 
Just my 2 cents. 

This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twolow4law1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 10:39am
Thanks to all your Input. I know my nitrates where at 0 last I checked but will check it when I get home on Thursday I'm on vacation at the min, I will give it another week or two before any dozing, I do have a prety good skimmer its a g2, I will also in crease clean up crew and lots if snails, right now only have a few crabs and like 15 snails in the 92 gal, because it was a new set up did not want them to starve, will add 50 crabs and 50 snails on Thursday ,   Thanks again   Ronnie
120 gal reef
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 12:27pm
No need to dose if you have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates.  Maybe some of the more experienced people can confirm that.
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 2:17pm
If you have a cyano outbreak you can still read 0 on nitrates and phosphates because the cyano is using it to grow. However, the fact that the problem is increasing says there is still a surplus of the two. Not saying that nitrates and phosphates are the only thing used for cyano growth but it's a major factor. My reconmendation before dosing would be to cut down on feeding, make sure your temps are staying fairly the same throughout the day and cut back on how long your lights are on.
I would also look at some other options like running gfo. I'm not saying dosing doesn't work but i'd just look at all options.
Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twolow4law1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 8:58pm
No cyno. Just brown alge, my lights are brand new 175 metal hadlid 2x and a new led set up but the alge was before the LEDs , nitrites are 0 just tested today did not test palsphate yet
120 gal reef
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 9:26pm
It works the same for algae as well. You can get a false negative because the cyano/algae growth uses up the excess nitrates and phosphates.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 1:17am
My last tank I had a brown diatom outbreak at like 4 months old. I had used 90+lbs of live rock , but was inexperienced. To solve it i began using carbon and gfo. Also alot of snails and crabs. But I ended up selling most of the crabs as they eat snails .For me I would use more snaisl and way less crabs. Oh and a variety of snails not just 1 type. Just my opinion that try natural ways then dosing as you become more experienced with cause and effect on what you are doing.  And im not saying your inexperienced just less room for error .
saltysleeves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltysleeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2012 at 9:30am
Diatoms and green hair algae tend to be new tank things.  You can do things to minimize them, run GFO to scavange the phosphate, make sure your light bulbs are as new as possible and left on as little as possible, stock mexican reef crabs and cerith snails, use only RO water for mixing, dose bacterial starters, and increase aeration and water flow.  All will help, but unfortunately 99% of new tanks will have one or both types of outbreaks before they are a year old.  Give it time, it will subside.

Until then, remove as much of it manually as possible a couple times a week, and practice good basic maintenance and it will decrease eventually.  I have dosed vodka, vinegar, VGV and commercial products and while I am a fan of carbon dosing, it has some serious drawbacks, and it can go from great to an absolute disaster very quickly if you aren't extremely careful.  IMO it is neither necessary nor ideal with a tank that is testing less than 10 nitrates. 

For what it is worth if you do decide to carbon dose: be aware that it means you will have to clean filters and plumbing much more frequently.  It must be dosed consistently every day (no vacations without a tank sitter or dosing pump), and you must monitor nitrate and phosphate levels with high sensitivity tests weekly if not twice weekly.  When I first started carbon dosing I got lazy and skipped the water testing for two weeks. In those two weeks, the nitrates and phosphates both hit zero, starved the biofilter, and my tank went through a mini cycle.  Had I not skipped my water tests I would have realized that the levels were dropping too low and started tapering the carbon additions down to stabilize the system, and it wouldn"t have crashed.

I prefer vinegar to vodka.  Vodka for me seems to encourage cyano outbreaks.  My favorite is actually the zeovit system.  BRS has a starter kit:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/korallen-zucht-zeovit-starter-package-with-vertex-rx-z-1-5l-zeolite-reactor.html

Zeovit is more expensive than homemade solutions, but IME it is more stable with fewer side effects.  Good luck!
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2012 at 9:39am
If your still questioning dosing, I would go to the "reef chemistry" page here and the first post is " the offical bacterial driven thread" and give it a read. I read it again last night, its a good read threw and answers quite a few questions
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic