Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 Gallon sand bed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 Gallon sand bed
    Posted: June 08 2003 at 10:44pm

I have a sand bed in my 10 gallon which is made up of crushed coral.  It is only 2 1/2 inches deep. I have never seen bubbles coming out of it like on the ooltic sand bed of my 125. So my question is would it hurt to remove an inch or so from the sand bed?  I dont know if the sand bed is doing any good or not. In the other tank you can see it working. In this you can only see it taking up space.

The other thought I have is if the tank is healthy dont touch it. So I am a little hesitant.

Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 8:37am

I'm very opinionated on this one.  DON'T TOUCH IT!!!!  If your tank looks good leave it alone.  And since when do the bubbles mean the DSB is working???  Think about it, the bacteria and microfauna will have their habitat cut in half if you take out half your sand.  You can never have to much sand. 

But, if you do decide to take it out, please call me I would love to come get it from you!

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 9:48am

I agree with Adam. And after reading the Sprung article I am remnded that the reason bubbles stick in the Oolitic is because the gas does not dissipate as easily. In other words, no bubbles occur in the larger particle material because the gas doesn't get held up! Now people are wondering... is Oolitic bad. No according to Shimek and my own experience.

It's important to recognize that so many people have such great looking tanks set up in just as many different ways!

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 9:39pm
 Ok you guys are making sense. the tank is currently healthy. I am going to leave it be. Thanks for the input
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic