Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How long until you add SPS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long until you add SPS
    Posted: November 16 2012 at 1:56am
Just curious on how long to wait until you add SPS to a new tank as I seem to get so many different conflicting answers

Edited by Akira - November 16 2012 at 2:00am
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 4:17am
I'd say until you've been in the hobby at least 6 months and have a thorough understanding of the chemistry, etc. Or, once all the nuisance algae from cycling has gone and you're starting to get coralline instead.

I doubt there's a single right answer as we are all different and have different tanks. I've added sps to a tank only a month old with no problems, but I'd never recommeend that.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 9:12pm
I personally think you need to take a honest look at your background.  

Is this your first salt water tank but you were running real clean healthy fresh water tanks for years... 

....pretty much go for it as soon as your sure the tank has cycled and you have good stable water with adequate light... I am talking about beginners stuff like a Birds nest - cheap - easy... 

Remember, if your lucky your first coral will be your biggest coral for a long time... so pick something you at least like the color of and would picture enjoying a year or two later... 

If this is your first salt water tank and you had a beta fish or your freshwater tanks were dirty and you lost fish once in a while... 

WAIT... you NEED TO KEEP UP ON YOUR MAINTENANCE and get a routine going... cause if you don't... its not going to work out for you.  

Read the forums, there are more than a few experienced individuals who had beautiful tanks that have experienced near total losses in a matter of hours... no one ever knows exactly what happened... but fact is to keep SPS at a high level you have to have a handle on everything we can test for... and hope the stuff we cannot test for is just fine.  

Not trying to make this sound hard, but you need to go slow, and know what nitrates are, have an idea of calcium/carbonate balance and a concept of pH stability (run your refugium lights at night to help a bit) to get SPS to grow.  If your super experienced none of this is much work and you will likely be good from the go.  If your not, just go slow and you will be fine... but at least 4 months and then only if your tank is looking good (scraping the glass is fine, hair algae everywhere or slime algae would preclude SPS to me).

Trust me- I know.  I used to manage a fish store in high school (a LONG time ago) so I knew what I was doing, I started pretty fast and for the most part did ok... but I went through a period 6-8 months after I started where I lost a few things I should not have cause I got lazy.  Period.  Since then I have learned my lesson and don't push it and I have for the most part had growth galore.  The stuff I lost... all SPS
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 2:57am
he's right, go slow, know what you need to do to keep it healthy. A good growing easy dos to start out with is an aquacultured staghorn or monti. They're cheap and if you can't keep those, you're not ready for the rest.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 7:32am
Kurt,
Is this for your own tank or a general new hobbyist question? As mentioned- water quality, lighting, a good general knowledge (or experience) and dedication are a must. I often hear people say things like "I never do a water change" or "I hardly dose anything." SPS is a whole different animal. To grow beautiful SPS, along with beautiful coral in general, it takes some work. Water changes alone won't keep up with Alk and Ca demands. You'll need to commit to some form of dosing. Adequate lighting and good flow are a must. Nitrates and Phosphates must be kept down, preferably non existing and a killer skimmer qoes without question in my book!
With all that said, lets get back to your originally question. It's not so much about time but rather the condition of your tank. I had my new tank stocked with coral (LPS, SPS softies and fish) within about three days after setting everything up. But all those items I mentioned before (good lighting, great water quality, flow and dosing) were in place. You've got some experience under your belt and I would say follow these guidelines, and those previously posted by others, and go from there.

Edited by DLindquist - November 17 2012 at 7:33am
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 1:32pm
I would say when the owner knows how to keep them alive and has the correct lighting, flow, and params. It's going to be different for every tank. However I have seen pics of your previous tanks and you know what your doing. So I am sure you will know when to add them or wait.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 2:19pm
If you are asking  how long should the tank be up and running... I generally wait about 3 months before adding any SPS. This is especially true if your tank was set up with all - or mostly all - dry rock and sand; if you don't run a refugium, if your fish load is very low.

My experience has been that a new tank needs time to develop a thriving microfauna and bacterial population in order for certain corals to do well. This also allows time for the environment to stabilize and get past issues like diatoms, cyano, etc that are most common in new tanks.
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 3:07pm
Not to be contrary, but I added a frag of green slimer SPS as one mf my first corals, and it was with my tank until I tore it down.

Generally, I'd wait three to six months. If you have a good stable environment, you should be fine. Stability is the key.

Corey
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 5:35pm
Thank for all the info , as I have read quite a bit on this subject and was curious about others opinions on this forum.  And to Dave . Yes this my personal tank and I have no fuge on this one, I run a huge skimmer and am also prepared  to dose to replace the nutrients it removes. My Vegas will be here Monday and thru my closed loop I am using a Reef flow snapper. Probably going to be adding 1 MP 40 next Friday . Oh and all levels involved during a cycle have been at 0 for a week and the rest are right where I have had the most success in the past.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic