Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on sea hare

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on sea hare
    Posted: November 27 2012 at 7:45pm
Just wondering everyones thoughts on a sea hare. The wife thinks they are cute "because they look like shrek". (Groan) Anyways from my search on here it sounds like they are short lived and don't do well in the aquarium? I have a wee bit of calurpa prolifera taking over a rock and some hair algae following its path and thought it might take care of it, at least the hair algae. In the event it eats all the algae what is the chance it will eat some nori from a seaweed clip? My tank is a 75g thats been established for 2 years.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 8:31pm
Last I heard, the ones reproducing in captivity are only for research...but if you can find one that you know the age of, then awesome.

Otherwise, they only live about a year in the ocean (about the same in captivity.) I read somewhere that the ones brought into the hobby are usually about 10 months old.

On a side note, they're very...um...easy to get to pair up. Their reproductive cycle makes up for their short lifespan. Shouldn't be too hard to get a captive breeding start...
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 11:43pm
I had a sea hair for a few months in my 225. It ended up dying and luckily close to the front. I here they can be pretty toxic if left alone and can nuke a tank. I wouldn't do it.
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 8:53am
sounds kinda scary to have one, like a short fuse time bomb.
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic